more on Candyman

Richard and Eileen Ludmerer ricdale2@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 10:50:16 EST 2009

My favorites by him also include "That's The Bag I'm In"..which was an FM cover hit for Buzzy Linhart, "The Dolphins", and "Sweet Cocaine" .

He was an expressive vocalist. I love his stuff.

Richard Ludmerer is a Contributing Writer at Blueswax and Folkwax

www.Blueswax.com

www.Folkwax.com

--- On Sat, 1/3/09, Pam <pamblues@earthlink.net> wrote:
From: Pam <pamblues@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: more on Candyman
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 10:27 AM

I have been touting Freddie on this list for quite some time.  Although I agree
that "Blues on the Ceiling" is most bluesy, I feel that his
"Handful of Gimme" is even bluesier.  His version of "Bring Me
Someone to Love" is about as heart wrenching as it can get.
I was first "turned on" to Freddie by Gene Shay of WHAT, who played
lots of cuts from the "Tear Down the Walls"  lp that Freddie recorded
with Vince Martin. when it first came out.  Although there are several topical
songs on that album that do not fall into the "blues" category, the
bluesy stuff that they did with two 12 strings is superb.  In my not very humble
opinion, there is no singer who has ever come close to topping Freddie's
vocals.
Pam

> I just happened to pull out some Fred Neil CDs tonight and was reminded
that he was co-author of the Roy Orbison "Candyman."  For those
unfamiliar with him, Fred Neil was a folk-blues heavy in the Greenwich Village
folk scene of the 60s  (best know for his "Everybody's
Talkin'" covered by Nilson and "The Other Side of This Life"
covered by Jefferson Airplane and so on).  Lots of bluesy elements in his
folk-blues.  Very melancholy feeling.  His "Blues on the Ceiling" is
about as blue as they come.

> -Steve Hoffman

> Archives & web interface:
http://lists.netspace.org/archives/blues-l.html
http://www.lsoft.com
BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org

270.10.2/1872 - Release Date: 1/2/2009 1:10 PM

To unsubscribe from BLUES-L, send an email with the message UNSUBSCRIBE BLUES-L
to: listserv@lists.netspace.org