Sammy Davis and Blues

Steve Hoffman stevehoffman@starpower.net
Thu Jan 1 11:04:03 EST 2009

Fruteland -

Don't know for sure.  But glancing in the index to BB King's
as-told-to-David-Ritz autobiography, there is only one reference to
Sammy Davis and it is in passing -- on a page where he talks about one
time where Frank Sinatra and he met, and he talks about his admiration
for Sinatra -- but like I say, Sammy Davis is just mentioned in passing.

And using the "search inside this book" feature on Amazon.com,  I typed
in "King" in two of Sammy Davis' bio/autobios and came up with
references with Martin Luther King, Nat King Cole, and even (comedian)
Alan King -- but none to BB.

So based on this quick&dirty research, it'd seem BB and Sammy were not
friends, and perhaps not even acquaintances.

By the way, if you want to read a book about how NOT to live your life
(especially if you end up rich and famous), check out "Deconstructing
Sammy:  Music, Money, Madness, and the Mob."  I haven't read the book,
but just reading the summary of it on Amazon.com, along with various
reader's comments and reviews -- you get a pretty good idea of how
pathetic it all was.  Not to take away one iota from Sammy Davis' talent
as an entertainer . . . .

-Steve Hoffman