SRV last performance video blurb ...

Leonard Watkins mannish@alltel.net
Sat May 31 11:18:59 EDT 2008

ironically I have been pondering his popularity lately which stemmed from a
comment about the top 25 guitar riffs when someone said ' what no SRV,  he
is in a class by himself'.  I am fan but it is mind boggling how popular he
became & is still popular. You can find younguns and old folks playing SRV
all over youtube he adorns the cover of guitar magazines every other month.
He is certainly not the inventor of blues guitar nor would be considered by
most THE best but based on the fanatical fan base you would think he was
both.  It's amazing to me.

How did this happen...?  Would it have happened had he been on the
Alligator, Blind Pig or Telarc label instead of a Epic...?  Did everything
that John Hammond Sr touch become this popular (I dunno but most of it did I
think) - Was it the timing, blues & non pop music definitely needed a boost
at that time.
Did his music with all the soul, passion & energy  just speak to more people
than most.  I dig the shit out of him but I dig the shit out of a lot of
players.
Is he more popular than Jimi.....?

In relative terms was his success anything similar to Johnny Winter when he
signed the bigassed Columbia deal in the 70s...?

You think Stevie would still be as popular today....?

It doesn't matter, I am just curious to 'why'. IMHO it was the power of a
label like Epic and John Hammond Sr that got him heard way more than most
'blues' artists would ever be heard.

I think his popularity is a good thing but it's still pretty amazing that he
appears to have passed ALL others in widespread appeal.

LW