Stanhope House music hall is closing

Son Lewis Sonlewis1@aol.com
Fri May 30 21:50:59 EDT 2008

Well, the demise of the Stanhope House has been nearly 15 years in the
making. Between the 1970's and 1990's two sets of owners worked wonders through
all kinds of recessions and swings in the economy... they used a combination of
national talent (as high up on the food chain as Muddy Waters) and local home
 brew (such as myself) to blend shows with two-four names on the marquee, all
 Blues, all the time...

Following the sale of the business in the early 1990's to a gentleman who
promptly banned all members of the local Blues society (because they had
scheduled a free show too close to his club) and his wife (who swiftly switched
from Blues to Jam-Bands to fill the club but empty the register) a series of
really bad business decisions and a growing "bad name" for the club was
something the new owners (who took possession a couple of months ago) just could  not
overcome...

While the economy may have undoubtedly had some impact on this closing, it
was likely more due to the previous bad name and an under-funded business
venture.  GONE are the days when owning a liquor license was an automatic  cash
cow....

Son  Lewis
Blues Vocalist/Guitarist
_www.sonlewis.com

In a message dated 5/30/2008 7:52:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,