Suncoast Blues News...

E. Willett Unklegeo@msn.com
Wed May 28 19:50:16 EDT 2008

SUNCOAST  BLUES SOCIETY..............YOUR MOJO SUPPORT GROUP

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail - not his tongue." -Anonymous

"Iron Man" Michael Burks was at Skipper's last Friday.  It's easy to get spoiled by performers like Michael.  He "brings it" every time!  After a scorching set, he stayed and signed things and socialized with fans.  I had the chance to talk to him, and he told me that when he does a show it's for the fans.  He may have difficulties with club owners, or inept sound guys (not here, thank heaven) but he doesn't take it on-stage.  He prides himself on making every show his best.  He's a true "A List" player, a good human being.  Saturday night we Jooked our butts off with that North Carolina tornado, Matt Walsh.  They made a lot of music for a three-piece band, and "Matt & Matt" had that two-guitar Muddy and Jimmy Rogers thing down!  Sunday we caught up with those Misbehavin' boys at D.C.'s in Tarpon Springs.  They had a few special guests, and they do NOT play the "Blues Top 40".  It's a fun Sunday evening, and the time is 7:00-11:00 pm, so it's not too late on a school night!

I'm George Willett george@suncoastblues.org<about:blank> and

MySpace.com/suncoastgeorge....Keepin' A Low Profile.

NEWS

It's Our "Lucky Eleven" Anniversary..

On Sat. June 7th Come on out for our "Lucky Eleven" Anniversary at Skippers  (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666)!  Our Entertainment folks have put together a great show for you starring Dallas native DARRELL NULISCH.  He was one of the founding members of Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets, and their 1981 recording "Talk To You By Hand" was the first album in the catalog of New Orleans-based Black Top Records. After spending seven years  with the Rockets, he put in a year with Mike Morgan and the Crawl before joining forces with Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters. He cut two albums with them before leaving in 1990 to form his own band, Texas Heat. Opening the show (and backing Darrell, too) will be our own CHARLIE MORRIS BAND!  A favorite in Europe (where he recorded his last to CD's) Charlie brings slow-burners, lots of shuffles and some up-tempo rockin' blues to the show. On top of that we'll raffle off our autographed guitar from "Stevie B's Total Guitar", and we'll have another one from "The Guitar Center" on the block for a silent auction.  We also have three pairs of SBS CD's (Vols 1 & 2) for silent auction as well. (All proceeds will go toward our community service programs, The Diamond Teeth Mary Fund, The Rock Bottom Scholarships, and The Sarah Sax Blues In Schools Program). The doors open at 7:00 pm, and Charlie Morris starts at 8:00. Tickets are $12.00 ADV/SBS, and $15.00 at the door.

City's Best Awards..

The gang at SKIPPER'S are pleased as (rum) punch to once again have the ol' Smokehouse nominated for some "CITY'S BEST" awards. As they're firm believers in a free and open democracy, they wouldn't dream of telling you how to vote. But out of respect for your time, they certainly can provide you the links to when you can cast your online votes and trust that you'll listen to your heart and soul...(you know the deal in the update."Cut-And-Paste"). Best Night life-Live Music<about:blank> Best Dining---Best Family Friendly Restaurant<about:blank>

IRS Haunts Koko Taylor.

Grammy-winning blues singer Koko Taylor will turn 80 in September, and she's in extremely poor health. Taylor needs a wheelchair to reach the stage for her fewer and fewer live gigs. Her income has dropped, her expenses haven't, and she has little savings or other hard assets besides a house in a Chicago suburb that estimated to be worth only $280,000. Nevertheless, the IRS says She must pay $400,000 in back taxes, penalties and interest. Otherwise, she faces the possibility of the G-men grabbing most of her income, including royalties and Social Security, and maybe even her home. The feds rejected her offer to take out a reverse mortgage on that house and pay $200,000 plus up to 50% of any future net revenue, moves that would allow her to remain in her residence and live out her remaining time with her second husband. IRS personnel simply can't believe a singer often called "Queen of the Blues" who still performs and has a fan base can't ante up more scratch.

Tracy Purcell Did Many Things..

He was a special commando in the Navy's scouts and raiders, a state trooper in New York. Once, he guarded presidential nominee Thomas Dewey. He owned a string of beach cottages, a pizza shop, a recording studio and a private detective agency. In his heart, he was Ray Charles.

In 2001, Mr. Purcell's wife died. Fifty five years of marriage were gone. Grief-stricken, Mr. Purcell hit the Gulfport beach bar circuit to unleash his sadness on the piano. He teamed up artists like T.C. Carr and Sterling Magee, and developed a following. He invented a new stage persona - Saltwater Blues Man. "He had the blues from my mom dying," said his son. "He felt like he could finally play the blues. I guess he was a true Bluesman." He played live music until six weeks ago, when he played his last show at Pia's Trattoria in Gulfport. He recently developed esophageal cancer, which advanced quickly. He died on Fri. May 16th at 83.

RIP Jimmy McGriff 4/3/36 - 5/24/08

Jimmy McGriff was an amazingly gifted Hammond B3 player who, though most embraced by jazz audiences, always considered himself to be a blues musician. His spirited performances have left an indelible imprint on the legacy of his instrument. He passed away Saturday from what is believed to be heart failure at a nursing home in New Jersey. He was 72. Some of his most memorable hits include his instrumental version of Ray Charles' "I've Got A Woman", the tonally textured "MG Blues", and the rowdy blues shuffle "All About My Girl". In later years, Jimmy teamed up with saxophonist Hank Crawford for some memorable albums (some produced by Bob Porter) and zesty live performances. His passing is great loss for both the blues and jazz communities.

Zydeco And Cajun Music Grammy's...
Yes, it's true! Zydeco and Cajun music now has their own Grammy category and Chubby Carrier's new CD is eligible for a Grammy nomination next year, which is music to his ears! CDs are to be sent to California on August 1st to be considered for a Grammy nomination. The Bayou Swamp Band would like to thank all their for the support throughout the years.  Chubby will keep  us informed as nomination time nears, so keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best...

Tommy McCoy's New Management..
Debbie DeVore is now representing TOMMY McCOY as his manager.  Debbie is a veteran of blues management, having managed Atlanta bluesman Forrest McDonald for eight years.  She'll be handling all bookings and promotional requirements, as well as all artist info and details for Tommy. Debbie has been working in Denmark for the past year and has just recently returned to the Tampa Bay area. Debbie's new management company "BLUES MGMT" is now in operation.  You can reach Debbie DeVore at: bluesmgmt@hotmail.com<about:blank>   1-727-657-8776.

COMING ATTRACTIONS

[...]

Low-Down Snaky Blues

On Sun, June 15th, The 2007 IBC Winners and all-around kings of cool, The SEAN CARNEY BAND will be doing what they do best, that low-down snaky Blues at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666).  Come on over to "The 'Dome" for this 5:00 pm show. You know you wanna', and it's only Seven Bucks!

Pianimals...

On Fri, June 27th Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) is presenting a one-two punch of "pianimalism"!  The star of the show is that boogie-woogie raconteur.REV. BILLY C. WIRTZ.  Opening the show will be someone you may remember from an SBS Jook Joint of years past, that young old piano man VICTOR WAINRIGHT! Showtime is 8:00 pm, and admission is $10.00 Adv/SBS and $13.00 for you last-minute shoppers!

Wear Some Comfy Shoes..

Sat, June 28th at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666): Canadian-born ANTHONY GOMES energizes his music with youthful vigor, creating a new take on American roots blues. He is a tireless performer and his music is very dance-friendly without sacrificing an ounce of soul and honesty. Wear some comfy shoes because you'll on your feet all night, hootin' an' hollerin'. The show starts at 8:00 pm, it's $10.00 Adv/SBS and $13.00 at the door.

Hi There..

Eclecto Groove Records is happy to announce that MIKE ZITO will be performing live at Ace's Lounge (4343 Palma Sola Blvd., Bradenton - 941-795-4234) on Sat, July 26th at 9:30 pm. Mike's new album "Today" has already received rave reviews.  .  Below are some links for you to check him out. www.mikezito.com<about:blank> and www.myspace.com/mikezito5150<about:blank> .  The show is $8.00 in advance and $10.00 at the door.

THIS WEEK IN BLUES HISTORY

Blues pianist Honey (Alexander) Piazza was born on April 24th 1951. Honey recorded with Pee Wee Crayton, Johnny Dyer, Junior Watson, Smokey Wilson and others before marrying west coast harp man and bandleader Rod Piazza. The couple raised a family and Honey joined her husband in The Mighty Flyers. Honey Pizza is one of the finest pianists in modern blues, and has been nominated for several WC Handy Awards. The Mighty Flyers are among modern Blues most popular acts and tour constantly. The Mighty Flyers have received the C Handy Award for Blues Band of The Year and are nominated for the award nearly every year.