Sean Costello

Tom Hyslop rockmrtom@portup.com
Sat May 24 06:00:48 EDT 2008

At 12:12 PM -0400 5/23/08, Damon M. Ayala wrote:
>The words "public figure" say it all.  Either you are or you aren't.  People
>want to know.  Don't take it personally.  I didn't hear anyone question
>anything when people wanted to know why or how Kurt Cobain died; That is just
>accepted.  I believe a lot of the dissension on this list when it comes to the
>public's right to know has a lot to do with us feeling "close" to
>the situation as
>members of Blues-L...  a little like extended family.
>
>That's not a bad thing either.
>
>Damon

I am not convinced that "people wanted to know why or how Kurt Cobain
died." I do firmly believe that our People and US Magazine, National
Enquirer/Star media culture has brainwashed the public into believing
that details beyond "born-married-divorced-died" are matters to be
treated as sideshow attractions fit for public prurience. (I would
cite television shows that I am aware cater to the same lowest
commond denominator, but am not conversant enough to name them.)

  It's none of our damn business. It's no one's damn business how you
go or I go, either, and that goes for our families, too, unless we or
they choose to release details.

  In Sean's case: Mourn the loss, which was profound.

tom

PS In its glory days, Hollywood's studio PR men and machines kept
private what should be (or needed to be) private. Again, the
paparazzi press and America's possibly inherent nosiness is the root
cause here.