Something You Got - Who's the Singer?

c. n. cnevitt@hotmail.com
Wed May 21 05:30:17 EDT 2008

Speaking of King Curtis on guitar, a few months before I took Johnny Moeller & Paul Size into the studio to do the "Return Of The Funky Worm" session, I had purchased the King Curtis ENJOY Lp. Curtis had the first ever release on that NYC based Bobby Robinson label back in '61, and one of the tunes (an instrumental) that really caught my ear was "Hot Potato," parts 1&2. It was mentioned in the notes that King Curtis was the one playing the guitar, with a touch and tone that I really dug.

Being the sort of pushy producer that I am (of the "Hey, it's my money, humor me" variety), when we were in the studio I broke out a cassette with a few tunes that I wanted them to try and pull off. One of them was the King Curtis tune "Hot Potato." Here is where you can listen to that original. http://tinyurl.com/3k38j3 We sat around and listened to it once, and they took a stab at it, with what I think were pretty decent results. Here are those results of that first and only take:  http://tinyurl.com/4ozmkx

chuck
http://dallasbluessocietyrecords.com