A 'must buy' magazine

Ron Weinstock rbluesw@YAHOO.COM
Tue May 20 21:36:58 EDT 2008

Thanks Dick. They started doing this last year (I believe I posted about it
then) but the Barnes & Noble that carries it rearranged their magazines so I
must have missed it before. Looked for it today and found it.

I posted last May 15 about last year's issue:

"The current issue of "American Legacy: The Magazine of African-American
Music History & Culture" is a special Music Issue. Included in the issue is
the cover story on Sammy Davis, and stories on Florence Mills, Deford
Bailey, King Oliver, and an account of the true stories behind the ballads
Stagolee and Frankie & Johnny. There are also short pieces on singer
Sissieretta Jones (best known as Black Patti), and james Brown and excerpts
from Richard Cook's recent book on Miles Davis. A fascinating collection of
articles."

Its good to see that that they are continuiing to do this and still
publishing. I believe they were an offshoot of the now defunct American
Heritage and glad that they still survive.

On Sat, 17 May 2008 14:46:28 -0400, Dick Waterman <jinxblues@aol.com> wrote:

>I just got the Summer issue of American Legacy ("The magazine of
African-American History & Culture") and there is plenty of good stuff in there.

>There is an article on Billie Holliday and the release of a five CD set of
rare recordings. There is an article on the Carolina Chocolate Drops, a nice
piece on Odetta, an article on string bands and a lengthy article on women
big band leaders that will have Fred Dabney wild with excitement.

>There is also a piece on John Work III detailing his work for the Library
of Congress on the historic Delta work that Allan Lomax took credit for and
gave Work little mention in his book.

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org