Louisiana Guitar Playing and JazzFest

Jimmy Jacobs fakeyjake@charter.net
Tue May 13 17:48:35 EDT 2008

Hard to believe that I've been back more than a week.  As usual the fest was
loaded with great music and food, and I believe the crowd on the last Sunday
rivaled any that I can remember pre-K.  I especially enjoyed having the
opportunity to see Stevie Wonder live for the first time -- didn't even mind
standing in the rain for it -- and wallowing in the seductive glow of Diana
Krall.  If you've ever been, you know how much great music there was.  Too
much to go through.  If you haven't...well, I'm not sure I want the crowds
to get any larger.

It seems that the most memorable music for me each year takes place away
from the fairgrounds.  This year it was Tab Benoit and Sonny Landreth at the
Rock'n'Bowl on the last Sunday night.  Since Beau Jocque died, Tab has been
booked for that night. Sonny opened this year with an hour-long set.  After
Tab played a couple of tunes from his new cd, he called Sonny up to the
stage.  By the time they finished the first song, everyone in the place was
grinning -- including the band -- and we were all going nuts.  Tab looked
out and said "Ya'll act like you ain't never heard Louisiana guitar playing
before."    They really lit the place up and were still going when I left at
one in the morning. I suspect John will book the two of them for next year.
I'll plan on being there.

-Jimmy