Where Steve Cropper Got 'Em From

Eliot Williams williams@medicine.wisc.edu
Tue May 13 13:48:45 EDT 2008

Another person I think may have influenced Cropper was George Barnes, a pioneer on the electric guitar who recorded with Big Bill Broonzy and Jazz Gillum, among others, during the 30s.  In the 60s he played on a lot of pop and soul records including the Isleys' "Shout", Chuck Jackson's "Any Day Now" and several Sam Cooke records.  The record of his that sounds the most Cropper-ish to me is Solomon Burke's version of "If You Need Me".

Eliot Williams
Department of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
williams@medicine.wisc.edu

>>> "c.n." <cnevitt@HOTMAIL.COM> 5/12/2008 2:39 AM >>>
It's a small world sometimes. In the last 24hrs or so I recall reading, on
this list, comments about originality, Steve Croppers chops, and the 5
Royales. (I may have mistakenly called the the Five Royals). I mentioned
that Lowman Pauling was under-appreciated and under-rated. Then just a few
minutes ago, with the 5 Royales still on my mind, I decided to see what they
had on youtube, and found this comment regarding Cropper attached to this 5
Royals medley clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdHgysGTQk
chuck