James Hunter Sidesteps

Alan Lloyd alan.lloyd.3@googlemail.com
Tue May 13 09:07:42 EDT 2008

There is a CD on Ace Records (UK)'s Big Beat label, and a DVD of Wilf which
have been issued to cash in on James' new-found fame. The voice is there,
but in those days he used less original material. There was a time when we
used to hire him for private parties - solo or in a trio - but we can't
afford him now! But his overnight success has been a long time coming.
Alan Lloyd
London UK.

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG] On Behalf Of
Beardo
Sent: 13 May 2008 13:53
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: James Hunter Sidesteps

If you'd have seen him 20 years ago as Howlin' Wilf (yes WILF) and the
Vee-Jays, perhaps you'd be a bit kinder about his transformation into James
Hunter.

He's paid his dues playing in every sh*thole in Europe honing that fine
voice. He fronted a quartet playing guitar and harmonica, a female (only
known as Dot) guitarist, bass, drums and an occasional appearance by a
rotund piano player that always brought down the house. Damn, I forget his
name right now.

You can hear Howlin' Wilf (at times) on Bandana Blues with Beardo &
Spinner...known on this board as B&S. Check the archives at
http://beardo1.libsyn.com for a show with Wilf.

Beardo

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org