James Hunter Sidesteps ...(removed)

Deb Lubin deblubin@sbcglobal.net
Tue May 13 02:21:36 EDT 2008

I don't quite get James Hunter either, but I do love Eugene Hideaway Bridges.  He sang 3 songs at the BMAs, and notwithstanding some "stage disturbance", sounded pretty damn good under less-than-the-best circumstances during the third song.  James Hunter pales by comparison.
Deb

----- Original Message ----
From: Ron Weinstock <rbluesw@YAHOO.COM>
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 2:11:15 PM
Subject: Re: James Hunter Sidesteps ...(removed)

I note that there are a number of survivors still with us from that era. You
mention Little Willie John, and DC's own Bobby Parker certainly can sing
(and hopefully will be well enough to do soon again) like him (in fact I
believe Paker replaced him as vocalist in Hucklebuck Williams Band).
For a strong Sam Cooke flavored singer there is the Texas native Hideaway
Bridges.

BTW those in the DC-Baltimore area, remember the benfit for Bobby parker is
tomorow startinga 4PM with Memphis Gold, The Nighthawks, Robert Lighthouse,
Mary Shaver and others. See you there Steve.

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:41:19 -0400, Steve Hoffman
<stevehoffman@STARPOWER.NET> wrote:

>You are right about James Hunter.  I watched that clip you posted and
>you're right, the new album (which although fourth is in fact his
>sophomore release in terms of a U.S. release) sounds every bit as good
>as the first.
>
>Blues-L folks who are too young to remember the great soul and R&B
>singers of the late 50s and early 60s, if you like James Hunter's music,
>use it as an opening to hip yourself to the music of artists like Ben E.
>King, Clyde McPhatter, Little Willie John, Jerry Butler, Chuck Jackson,
>Gene McDaniels, and of course Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson from that era
>-- the era that inspires James Hunter. ...  The music of that kind is
>some of the most beautiful music ever created.  No, it's not blues, by
>the way -- it's SOUL music, and its soul music of a certain era ... soul
>music from the era when R&B was moving away from a straightahead
>blues-based sound but before R&B got into the whole funk thing, and it's
>R&B/soul with a very conscious effort to incorporate a bit of a "pop"
>feel to the music.  I have never in my lifetime heard a contemporary
>artist who so captures the sound and feel of that era of R&B/soul the
>way James Hunter does (including writing original songs that sound like
>they could've come fresh out of that era).
>
>I can't wait 'til June 10, when Hunter's new CD is released.
>
>-Steve Hoffman
>
>c. n. wrote:
>> Ken was nice enough to point out to me that this was Mr Hunter's 4th
release, so rather than try to qualify my initial subject line this item was
removed it from "The Blues And Then Some" blog, but I will stand by my
comment that from the snippets I have heard, it is every bit as strong as
the previous release that garnered him a Grammy.  Don't fret though, with
his talent he certainly doesn't need the likes of me championing his
cause...though it will always be my pleasure to do so for any music that I dig.

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org