If The Blues Brothers Brought Some To The Blues...

Sue Miller sue_express@zianet.com
Mon May 12 00:38:50 EDT 2008

Wasn't there some kind of lawsuit brought against Ackroyd and Belushi or
producers making the Blues Brothers movie?

I never did quite catch what that was all about. Was it an infringement sort
of thing or ..... ????

Sue Miller
sue_express@zianet.com

=========================

Date:    Sun, 11 May 2008 21:06:25 -0400

From:    Dick Waterman <jinxblues@aol.com>

Subject: Re: If The Blues Brothers Brought Some To The Blues...

Hey, I hope that me calling them a parody act wasn't taken as a
slight...it's

just sort of what they were, as far as Ackroyd and Belushi go. The "band"
behind

them, hell, top drawer all the way down the line, imo. You have to give the

"Brothers" that much credit, for having the snap to know the difference, and

hire the best.

I just want to make certain that we are not talking about a some two-headed
creature here because John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd came from very different
backgrounds and brought very different viewpoints to the blues.

Ackroyd is Canadian and his love for the music, genuine though it might be,
comes from CDs and seeing acts in clubs when they got that far north.

Belushi is from Wheaton, IL (home of the legendary Red Grange) and was
hanging in Chicago bars when he was an underage kid. He was a member of
Second City (a comedy team based in Chicago) and hung out in South Side bars
for years.

By the time they got together at Saturday Night Live, they both shared a
love for the music but only one had been deep into the scene for years.

I told this story some years ago on this list but I'll run the short
versions here again.

When they were taking the Blues Brothers on the road as a live act after
several years of doing it on the show, the late Doc Pomus called me for some
advice in putting together their band. They were using Howard Johnson's horn
section and had the band ready to go but Steve Cropper had other commitments
and would not come aboard as the guitarist.

I had a number of conversations with Belushi ands what styles he wanted to
play the guitarist to play and I can tell you that he was knowledgeable,
astute, incredibly detailed and totally committed to not taking anything
less.

They had a 10-night gig to open for Steve Martin at Universal Amphitheater
during his "King Tut" fame era and we had days (not months or weeks) to find
the right guy, get him TWO DAYS (!) of rehearsals and fly out to LA.

Doc and I agreed that Matt Murphy was the guy and then we had to get him to
leave the Zaicheck (spelling may be wrong) Brothers based in Mansfield, CT.
I did the money thing with him (with Belushi's OK) and he left for NYC on a
Thursday and they worked for two days and then headed for LA and music
history.

I have only good things to say about Belushi's blues knowledge. He could
discuss the differences between South Side and West Side styles, Memphis,
Mussel Shoals, Motown and all stops between.

He took huge pride that the film brought visibility and some real money to
musicians who he idolized. The important fact that must be made here is that
Belusi knew that he was playing a clown character in a send up joke. He
never for one second considered himself anything more than letting the light
of his fame bring some opportunities to real deal musicians.

Dick Waterman

Oxford, MS