photographers - releases - copyrights..etc

Jimmy Jacobs fakeyjake@charter.net
Thu May 8 22:34:31 EDT 2008

Chuck Winans gave an excellent treatment of your first question in a post
back on January 8.  Basically the answer is yes, but I recommend going to
the archives and reading Chuck's treatment of it.

As for the second question, the unauthorized appropriation of a person's
likeness or personality for a commercial purpose is an invasion of privacy
and can get you sued.  A couple of well-known examples are Rosa Parks' suit
against the rap group for using her name in a "song" and Jackie Onassis'
suit against a clothing manufacturer for using a "look-alike" to promote
their clothes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG] On Behalf Of
Leonard Watkins
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 4:48 PM
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: photographers - releases - copyrights..etc

When you take a photograph of someone then you own that the rights to the
photo.
Example: If I went to music festivals took pictures of the artists then I
can sell those pictures without any form of release..etc from the artist.
Is that correct..?

also curious if I took that picture and made a T-shirt could I also sell
that without any problems.

Obviously I am not selling pictures but the issue came up and I don't think
it is an issue at all
thanks
LW

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org