Borders

Steve Hoffman stevehoffman@STARPOWER.NET
Sun May 4 16:22:45 EDT 2008

Son is right about Borders being on the rocks financially.

Around the time Amazon.com started blowing up, they decided NOT to try
and compete on-line but to focus almost exclusively on their
brick-and-mortar stores.  (If you order from Borders.com, it's all done
via Amazon)  Their main competitor Barnes & Nobles, in contrast, has
built up its website and thus sells thru internet as well as thru its
stores.  And both Borders and B&N are hit with not only competition from
Amazon.com but also from the big-box retailers (Best Buy, Target,
Wal-Mart, all of which stock CDs and, to a lesser extent, books).

As to shrinking music departments, even one local indie music shop
(called CDepot) that has one of the Washington DC area's largest
selection of CDs (used and new), is increasingly allocating shelf and
rack space to DVDs instead of CDs.  DVDs of movies, TV shows, etc., and
DVD's of music concerts.  DVD's of whatever ... but DVD in lieu of CDs.

The world is moving very very fast in regard to the younger generation
ignoring CD and simply not purchasing or getting its music through CDs
anymore.  I don't like it, but that seems to be what's happening, and at
a fast clip.

Hell, remember a little company that no longer exists called Tower Music???

-Steve Hoffman