Journalist stamps

Steve Edmonson edmoblues@comcast.net
Thu May 1 19:48:37 EDT 2008

Nice to see Dick's mention of Ralph Gleason.  I've always felt that we in
the SF Bay Area were very lucky to have him here.  He was a close friend of
my Mom's, and we would often attend live music venues with him (including
the first "acid-test" at Longshoreman's Hall here in SF.)  Ralph was a great
friend to music and musicians as well as being a gifted writer.  Just the
mention of Ralph's name brings back many fond memories (or it could be the
pain pills, oh never mind...)  I used to have some great videos of a TV show
that he used to host with many amazing live musical performances.  I went
looking for one of those videos the other day, and couldn't find them.  I
was looking for a Wes Montgomery performance that I remembered from the
show.  As far as I am concerned, no one has ever been able to fill his shoes
at the critic's desk at the Chronicle.  Another local critic certainly worth
mentioning though, is Grover Sales, who, sadly, is also no longer with us.
He was another close friend of my mom's for many years, and I can remember
driving to Monterey for the festival in his old 1950's Morgan (you know the
one with the leather belt over the hood.)  Grover was another very talented
writer who also had a broad range of musical interests and knowledge.  It
seems like every generation has fewer and fewer "giants" in every field of
endeavor that really stand out, but I suspect (and hope) that this is just
the perspective that each generation feels as they get older.

Steve Edmonson
edmoblues@comcast.net
The Jackie Payne-Steve Edmonson Band
http://www.payne-edmonson.com