NBC: Journalist stamps

Dick Waterman jinxblues@aol.com
Thu May 1 14:18:05 EDT 2008

Some of you might know that I was a newspaperman for some years back in the 1950s and early 1960s and I actually rediscovered Son House while on a writing assignment for "The National Observer," a Sunday paper owned by Dow Jones.

Anyway, while I have been honored to have friendships with Muddy Waters and Son House and B. B. King, it is people that Edward R. Murrow and Ernie Pyle and Ralph J. Gleason that taught me to love the printed word.

The US Postal Service has just issued a set? of "American Journalists" stamps that honor Eric Sevareid, John Hersey, George Polk and others.

I know this has no business on a blues list but I am buzzed with happiness that some of my heroes are being recognized. Back in the early 1940s, Edward R. Murrow broadcast live from London during the bombing. He brought together the brightest minds in radio journalism and they were called "Murrow's Boys."

Sadly, all are gone except for Walter Chronkite and Andy Rooney . . .

Dick Waterman