NBC: Why do some member's posts contain formatting characters, garbled text, etc.?

Walter Potter maxdog-blues-l@COMCAST.NET
Sat Aug 30 11:15:31 EDT 2008

Eric Paul-Hus wrote:

> The above is a very inaccurate and short-circuited explanation the intricate
> details can be found by researching "sendmail" behavior for non-US code
> pages and MIME/RTF translation to plain text ...

Yep, it's all clear as mud and gets murkier the further a person looks
into the problem. That's one of the reasons I never looked into it too
far, I have enough murk in my life! Its enough to give the geekiest of
us a headache.

The short answer for the original post is that there is no short answer
or solution. Problems in text formatting generally seem to come from the
faulty translation of the text from one language or encoding method to
another. This can be compounded by the listserv program that runs
Blues-L though it is the best and most standards & protocol compliant
program of its type.
--
Walter
Keep on keepin' on ...