Wexler and Muscle Shoals

Jimmy Jacobs fakeyjake@charter.net
Mon Aug 18 10:53:25 EDT 2008

Interesting take on Jerry Wexler's life and influence from Muscle Shoals
musicians:

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20080816/NEWS/808160323/1011/NEWS

I also heard an interview with Charlie Thomas last night on our state public
television network in which he related how the Drifters (the second group
with Ben E King) had been stranded in Mobile, Al for several months when
their manager ran out of money.  A local DJ put in a call to Wexler who
played "There Goes My Baby" over the phone and asked King "Is this you?"
Wexler said he had been looking for the group all over the country and sent
them $500 to get to New York to record, starting a string of hits at
Atlantic.  Thomas also said that he "had a hand in writing" the song but
"never got no publicity" for it.

Jimmy