NBC Starbucks

Fred Dabney fdabney@nmsu.edu
Mon Apr 28 23:37:15 EDT 2008

> 1) I don't speak Starbucks. Anyone who calls a small coffee a "tall"
> coffee is perverting the Queen's English (a hanging offence). And we
> won't even discuss the innate snobbishness of "vente" and "grande" -
> just who the fuck do they think they ARE?

It's got nothing to do with Starbucks.  It's been marketing for decades
that way.  Go look for a "Small" box of laundry soap.  The smallest
one on the shelf is "Large"

Madison Avenue came up with that in the fifties, and it's reflected
in such things as "pre-owned" cars instead of "used", etc.

A man named Vance Packard used to write books about this sort
of idiocy...

Fred D.