Bobby Parker hospitalized

Ron Weinstock rbluesw@YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 28 08:15:57 EDT 2008

I have known this for a couple weeks but Terence McArdke (who posted the
below on the post-war list at Yahoo) was acting as gatekeeper on releasing
info on Bobby's condition.

Bobby Parker hospitalized (X-Post)
Posted by: "jtmcardle@cs.com" jtmcardle@cs.com   tmcardle1960
Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:49 am (PDT)

Blues singer and guitarist Bobby Parker, famous for his hit records “Watch
Your Step” (V-Tone label, 1961) and “Blues Get Off My Shoulder” (VJ label,
1958) as well as his two contemporary blues CDs on the Black Top label, has
been hospitalized for the past three and a half weeks. Presently, he is at
Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. where he has undergone
surgery for a mass in his stomach. Georgetown has a reputation as one of the
best facilities for internal medicine on the East Coast – that’s the good
news. The bad news is that Bobby has had to cancel all his immediate local
engagements as well as an appearance at New Orleans’ Ponderosa Stomp. His
bills are mounting.

For those in the Washington, D.C. area, there will be a benefit concert at
the Surf Club, 4711 Kenilworth Ave., Riverdale, Md. on Sunday, May 11th
featuring The Nighthawks, Memphis Gold, and Terence McArdle & Jumpin’
Tonight with some special guests. We plan to set up a custodial account for
Bobby’s bills probably through the auspices of the Washington Area Music
Association (WAMA-DC).

In the meantime, those who want help out by sending donations can writing
checks payable to Bobby Parker and send them in care of the DC Blues
Society, PO Box 77315, Washington, DC 20013.

You may also send cards and letter to Bobby care of Terence McArdle, PO Box
6548, Silver Spring, MD 20916 – and I will hand deliver them to him in the
hospital. (I think this may be better than dealing with the hospital’s
internal mailroom.) Please keep Bobby in your thoughts and prayers.