Artist Denies Opening for BB King

Stan Erhart stan_erhart@pcworld.com
Sun Apr 27 21:50:38 EDT 2008

At the risk of incurring hate mail, I'm surprised on both counts:

I'm surprised they're paying so little and I'm surprised the band didn't do
it anyway.  I'll bet it's not unusual for one thing and for another it
would have been worth it in time and exposure for the band leader to pay an
$100 or so to get his big band there.  Or just treat it like a cheap bar
gig and do it with a stripped down band.  Or maybe he's figuring this kind
of publicity will help.  It worked for SRV.  The publicity of leaving
Bowie's band helped him no end.

    ----- Original Message -----

    From: Deb Lubin [deblubin@sbcglobal.net]
    Sent: 04/27/2008 04:46 PM MST
    To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
    Subject: Fw: Artist Denies Opening for BB King

Memphis Gold (Chet Chandler) posted this to our local SF Bay Area blues
group on Yahoo.  I thought it would engender more comment and interest
here.

I wonder if BB knows how his opening acts are being insulted.  Would he
condone such treatment?  It's appalling IMO.   Any organization that can
afford BB can certainly afford to pay the opening band better than that.

Deb