Suncoast Blues News

E. Willett Unklegeo@msn.com
Wed Apr 23 20:20:41 EDT 2008

SUNCOAST  BLUES SOCIETY..............YOUR MOJO SUPPORT GROUP

Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

So, did you like the "West Coast Harmonica Summit"?   That was one awesome show!  Mark Hummell is a brave man!  For a harp player to take his show on the road with the likes of Rick Estrin and Curtis Salgado takes "big 'uns"!  On, and what about the looks on the faces of the California guys when T.C. Carr got a chance to cut loose?  Yeah..Kim Harpo did us proud, and  Steve Scott weren't bad either. You know it's harp heaven when Jim Bukiet and Earl The Pearl  are there for the show, too.  And for the guitar fanciers in the house, how about Rusty Zinn?  That's about as cool as when Jr. Watson backed John Nemeth at the last Jook.Did I have a good time?  Hell, Yeah!

            So.(I hate to Harp on it, but) you need to come out and hear The One And Only CHARLIE MUSSELWHITE at Skipper's this coming Saturday!  It's an SBS show, so we're counting on you to come out and support "Your Mojo Support Group".

I'm George Willett at george@suncoastblues.org<about:blank> and

MySpace.com/suncoastgeorge..Be At Skipper's On Saturday...We Know Who You Are!

NEWS

Your Next Assignment...
This coming Saturday (April 26th) come on down to Skipper's (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) as The SBS brings back the legendary CHARLIE MUSSELWHITE! He has a history of over 40 years of great performances. Charlie was the big winner at the 28th annual Blues Music Awards, walking away with 4 of the 5 trophies he was nominated for including: Album of the Year (Delta Hardware), Song of the Year (Church Is Out), Traditional Blues Album of the Year, and Instrumentalist - Harmonica. Opening for Mr. Musselwhite will be the SACK O WOE band, our SBS "Band" entry in the International Blues Competition (IBC) held in Memphis last February. Let's PARTY! Showtime is 8:00 pm, and it'll be $12.00 Adv/SBS and $15.00 day-of-show purchase.

Benefit For Deputy Ray Rembert.

The CODE BLUES Band will be at O'Brien's (1701 S. Alexander St, Plant City) on Fri. April 25th and Sat. April 26th   The time Friday is 9:30 pm. 'til 1:30 am. On Saturday they will be hosting a Benefit for the Deputy Ray Rembert Family. (The home of Deputy Rembert, a school resource officer at Ben Hill Middle School was destroyed by fire on Thurs. April 3rd. No one was home when the fire broke out at the house where he lived with his children and his fiancée, Debra Turner.) The benefit will run from 3:00 pm. 'til  8:00 pm. Several acts will be performing, Solo Artist WAYNE "MILKMAN" MILLICAN, GROOVY TUESDAY, The ROLLIN' RIVER Band, The JEFF WESTBROOK Band, The SELMON KIDS, and of course CODE BLUES. They'll have Raffles ,Auctions And 50/50's. Then at 9:30 p.m. Code Blues will party the rest of the night away. So go out and support this worthy cause.

Sean Costello April 16, 1979 - April 15, 2008
On Tues. April 15th Blues singer/guitarist Sean Costello was found dead in his hotel room in Atlanta. He would have been 29 on April 16th. The cause of death was not known but details will posted on the Piedmont Talent website as they are revealed. Sean had recently released his fourth CD, "We Can Get Together" on Delta Groove Records, and was a featured guitarist on the acclaimed new Nappy Brown CD "Long Time Coming" on Blind Pig Records. He was a handsome young man with amazing guitar ability, a fine voice, and a strong sense of carrying forward the tradition of the blues. Randy Chortkoff and Robert Fitzpatrick of Delta Groove Music, issued the following joint statement: "Sean Costello was a genius. He was destined to go down in music history as a blues legend. His musical legacy will live on through his music forever. We at Delta Groove Music and all his fans everywhere are devastated by the untimely news of his death. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, loved ones and friends and to all of his many fans around the world. He will not be forgotten."

Tell Ten Friends To Tell Ten More...

A favor to ask, it only takes 30 seconds.... Please tell ten friends to tell ten today! The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site daily to meet their quota for donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram for free" (the pink window in the middle). This doesn't cost you anything. Their corporate sponsors /advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising.  Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know.  http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/<about:blank>

COMING ATTRACTIONS

Sterling Magee's Birthday..

The friends and musical associates of STERLING MAGEE are celebrating his birthday during the month of May.  They're kicking this off at the Peninsula Inn (2937 Beach Blvd, Gulfport - 727-346-9800) on Fri. May 2nd from 7:00-10:00 pm. with a band featuring Sterling Magee and his Harlem Blues.  The Peninsula's courtyard is a very nice setting while the weather is nice..

Blues By The River Concert..

The City Of New Port Richey is once again bringin' the Blues to Sims Park!   The 2008 Cotee River Seafood Festival happens on Sat. May 10th and Sun. May 11th.  The Saturday line up includes LAZY BOY And FRIENDS, HYBRID GROOVE, The BACK ALLEY BLUES BAND, JOHN ALLEN And The COTTON GIN BAND, The WILLIE LOMAX BLUES REVIEW, And TINSLEY ELLIS.  Sunday shapes up like this..CHARLIE O. And The HOUSEROCKERS, The DUKES Of JUKE, AND SARASOTA SLIM.  For more information, got to Nprmainstreet.com

Take Back The Night...
On Sun, May 11th Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) presents the 13TH ANNUAL edition of Take Back the Night! It's a Benefit for Domestic Violence Shelters: THE SPRING, CASA & THE HAVEN, SUNRISE OF East Pasco, Salvation Army DV Program of West Pasco, starring WOMEN'S BLUES REVUE, LIZ PENNOCK And DR. BLUES, DENISE MOORE And special guest TAMMY HATCH. Showtime is 5:00 pm Tickets are $7.00 adv/$10.00 at the door. No SBS discount on benefit shows.

A Modern Blues Hero...

On Fri, May 23rd Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) presents The MICHAEL BURKS CD Release Party!  Guitarist/vocalist/songwriter MICHAEL "Iron Man" BURKS stands tall as a contemporary Blues figure. With a nickname earned by his hours-long, intensely physical performances, fearsome guitar attack, tough, smoky vocals and the thousands of miles logged behind the wheel of his touring van, Burks is a modern blues hero. Boasting remarkable natural talent and a blue-collar work ethic, Michael Burks is a musician with deep roots in the blues tradition. He performs every song with intensity, conviction and soul. With inspiration from Albert King, Freddie King and Albert Collins, Burks' sound and style are all his own. Now, with his new Alligator CD "Iron Man"  Burks deep, soul-infused music and undeniable charisma, proves that electric guitar blues is alive and well in the skillful hands of the Iron Man, Michael Burks.Showtime is 8:00 pm, Admission is $10.00 Adv/SBS and $13.00 walk-up.

Spread A Little Blues And House-Rockin' Music...
On Sat. May 24th we're gonna' be Jookin' with MATT WALSH at Dave's Aqua Lounge (0820 Gandy Blvd., St. Pete - 727-576-1091). Who?..Matt Walsh was born in Statesville, N.C.in 1977 and I had leanings towards music at an early age. He got hip to a lot of musicians in his preteen years, including Jimi Hendrix, Canned Heat, Chuck Berry, Johnny Winter and the Rolling Stones. Keith Richards is still one of his musical idols. These musicians were a road map to the music that he grew to love the most, but he had no idea that the rock music he loved was rooted in something much deeper...the BluesHe met and became friends with Bob Margolin around 2002. From 1973-1980, Bob played guitar in the band of Chicago Blues legend Muddy Waters. It's probably obvious that Bob has been a great influence and inspiration for Matt, but he has also been a good friend, and is responsible for introducing some great musicians with whom he currently plays. Matt hopes to spread a little Blues and house-rockin' music to our town soon. Showtime is 9:30 pm and its just $7.00 at the door!

Steady Rollin' Man..

On Sun. June 1st Steady Rollin' BOB MARGOLIN will be headlining a Benefit for The Children's Home Society of Florida at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666).  The event will also feature SANDY ATKINSON And The REVELATIONS, CHARLIE VEGAS And The NEW BLUES COMBO, The DUKES OF JUKE, and RONNY ELLIOTT.  The show kicks off at 3:00 pm, and it'll be hosted by MARVELOUS MARVIN and STEVE PERSALL.

It's Our "Lucky Eleven" Anniversary..

On Sat. June 7th Come on out for our "Lucky Eleven" Anniversary at Skippers  (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666)!  Our Entertainment folks have put together a great show for you! Dallas native DARRELL NULISCH began singing full-time in 1978 as one of the founding members of Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets. Their 1981 recording "Talk To You By Hand" was the first album in the catalog of New Orleans-based Black Top Records. After spending seven years as front man for the Rockets (also appearing on 1985's "She Knocks Me Out!"), Nulisch put in a year with Dallas-based Mike Morgan and the Crawl before joining forces in 1987 with Boston-based Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters. He cut two albums as their front man ("Soul Searchin" and "Peace Of Mind") before leaving in 1990 to form his own band, Texas Heat. Opening the show (and backing Darrell, too) will be our own CHARLIE MORRIS BAND!  A favorite in Europe (where he recorded his last to CD's) Charlie brings slow-burners, lots of shuffles and some up-tempo rockin' blues to the show. On top of that we'll raffle off our autographed guitar from "Stevie B's Total Guitar", and we'll have another one from "The Guitar Center" on the block for a silent auction.  We also have one pair of SBS CD's (Vols 1 & 2) for silent auction as well. (All proceeds will go toward our community service programs, The Diamond Teeth Mary Fund, The Rock Bottom Scholarships, and The Sarah Sax Blues In Schools Program). The doors open at 7:00 pm, and Charlie Morris starts at 8:00. Tickets are $12.00 ADV/SBS, and $15.00 at the door.

THIS WEEK IN BLUES HISTORY

Chicago Blues guitarist Byther Smith was born on April 17th, 1933 in Monticello, MS. Smith is a journeyman Chicago Blues guitarist who arrived in Chicago in the 50s. He took guitar lessons from JB Lenoir (his cousin), Robert Jr. Lockwood and Hubert Sumlin and began playing Chicago clubs in the early 60s. "Smitty" spent 5 years as house guitarist a Theresa's Lounge in Chicago, backing up Junior Wells and a host of visiting musicians. He has also worked with Big Mama Thornton, George 'Harmonica' Smith and Otis Rush. Smith began to hit his stride in the 90s. He has CDs available on Rounder, Bullseye Blues, Delmark and Black and Tan.