Henry Stuckey / [Fwd: [Bluesville] Today In Blues - April 11]

Sue Miller sue_express@zianet.com
Sat Apr 12 01:32:54 EDT 2008

>>>Henry Stuckey died in 1966 and never recorded anything? What a shame. All
this time, I thought Skip James was the originator of the Bentonia style. On
a Web site I "googled," Stuckey was an 18 year old WWI army nurse serving at
a French hospital when he heard two wounded French soldiers play an unusual
guitar style. He then became inspired to develop a unique, haunting Bentonia
style. Interesting!

Sue Miller

sue_express@zianet.com

Delta Blues guitarist Henry Stuckey was born on this day in 1897 in

Bentonia, MS. Although unrecorded, Stuckey was a major influence on

early Delta Blues. Stuckey developed the "Bentonia" style of Blues, a

style popularized by Skip James. Stuckey was a mentor to James, and

often performed with him in the 1920s. Stuckey also owned a popular

juke joint in Bentonia in the 30s.