French quarter music fess, night time suggestions

Jimmy Jacobs fakeyjake@charter.net
Mon Apr 7 13:13:17 EDT 2008

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with NO bands so if any of these
suggestions seem like "Duh!" to you, forgive me.

Thursday night:  Juice is at dba.  This is a good funk/blues/rock band that
Joe Krown occasionally sits in with.  Joe is doing swing at Howling Wolf on
Friday, though.  Amanda Shaw and the Cute Guys (including Brint Anderson on
guitar) is at the HOB Parish.  Amanda has an early set at Mulate's on
Friday, too.  Marc Stone (discussed here recently for the Campbell Bros. cd
he produced) is upstairs at the Blue Nile.  He plays a variety of blues
styles and often has Sean Carrey with him.  Sean is John Carrey's son, and a
damn fine singer. Marc also is at the Old Point on Friday night. If you're
up to some retro country, Gal Holiday is at the Rusty Nail; fun but I can
only take so much!

Saturday night:  My picks are Theresa Andersson and John Boutte at the
Circle Bar and Anders Osborne, Kirk Joseph, Tim Green, & Eric Bolivar at Le
Bom Temps.  Big Daddy O (Owen Tufts) is at the Balcony Club; great voice and
really nice guy.  He is also playing on Royal Street Sunday afternoon.
Other good acts are Little Nathan (zydeco) at Rock'n'Bowl; Big Sam's Funky
Nation at the Blue Nile, and Julia LaShae (jazz) at the Royal Sonesta bar.

Sunday night:  (If I have any strength left) The NO Jazz Vipers with Linnzi
Zaorski & Washboard Chaz are at the Rock'n'Bowl.  The Tin Men are at dba.
Joe Krown, Walter Wolfman Washington, and Russell Batiste will be at the
Maple Leaf.