[Fwd: [Bluesville] Today Is THE Day in Blues]

Scott checker758@YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 4 14:42:26 EDT 2008

Muddy was my gateway into the blues - the first live blues show I ever saw,
and it set a standard for me that all these years later has never been
topped.  To to say that show change the course of my life is an
understatement.

ANyway, a couple of corrections to the (otherwise excellent) info below:

- It's been pretty well documented at this point that Muddy was actually
born in 1913, not 1915. On his marriage license in the 1930s and on his
musicians union card in the 1940s, Muddy gave 1913 as his year of birth. He
also told Paul Oscher he was born in 1913. It was only after he became well-
known in the 1950s that he shaved a couple of years off and gave 1915.

- Although all the musicians listed below did appear on recordings with
Muddy at one time or another, it's not really accurate to say they
all "passed through The Muddy Waters Band", since several of them - Willie
Dixon, Buddy Guy, Matt Murphy, and Fred Below - were never in his regular
working band, and didn't work for or with Muddy except when hired by
Leonard Chess to back him in the recording studio. The connection to Earl
Hooker even looser - although they're on a record together ("You Shook
Me"), they were never even in the studio together; Muddy's vocals were
overdubbed onto an instrumental record that had been released earlier as an
Earl Hooker single.

Scott