NBC: music to make a difference

c.n. cnevitt@HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 1 09:21:40 EDT 2008

For some folks music is all about a good time, something to dance to. For
some musicians--it's a place and opportunity to put a few over the top
solos. For only a very few, it was a chance to make a difference, to try and
make a change. Some of the deep black gospel tunes might well fit into that
slot, and one artist whose music certainly did was WOODIE GUTHRIE. I am damn
near ashamed at not having come to appreciate where he was coming from
musically, and what he was about, before now. I don't even have a good
excuse, except sometimes my interests were, shall we say, blunted, and I was
caught up with the majority of blues fans, waiting on that next hot solo to
be slung out there by __fill in the blank__ guitar slinger or even honkin'
Texas tenor sax man.

So, if you're interested in learning more about this great American
musician, one who cared about a lot more important stuff than fame or
fortune, it is my pleasure to be able to point you towards this first rate
history lesson about the man and his music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKxaS8uBeMQ

Btw, there are only a couple of surviving clips of film with Woodie
performing, and this is one of them, with fellow folk blues musicians
Brownie & MgGhee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-GHye9ohA

chuck
http://thebluesandthensome.blogspot.com