Donnie Brooks 1936-2007

Blue Stew mail@bluestew.com
Fri Jun 22 10:39:58 EDT 2007

Nobody told me!! Don'tcha hate it when a friend or aquaintence dies and
you find out by reading the obits? Ya gotta give 'em the roses ya
know...I was just browsing the Rock-a-Billy HOF and saw that Donnie
passed. http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DonnieBrooks.html  Donnie Brooks
AKA Johnny Faire AKA Dick Bush was a pop singer/actor that had a few
hits  early '60s. He had the rockabilly hits "Hollywood Party" and
"Bertha Lou" under the name, Johnny Faire. His friend, Dorsy Burnette
had him come in the sing it with the Johnny Burnette trio cuz they were
still under contract with Coral. Donnie used the name Johnny Faire. Then
he had a coupla' top tens, "Mission Bell" (I think reached 6) and "Doll
House", under Donnie Brooks.

Smooth talking, quick wit, powerful voice and knew how to take charge of
an audience. Donnie was one of the most influential people in my music
career. I was so young I lied about my age to play CA night clubs. He
was always in a good mood. Except for the night his father died. He had
Johhny Moore and the Drifters cover for him. For one, he knew
every-frikn-body in the biz! Although he knew a lotta blues singers (he
got me the Big Joe Turner gig), he never was one himself. He was always
too happy. Wish I woulda' stayed in touch more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Brooks
mike