richie havens doing dylan's "license to kill"

Steve Hoffman stevehoffman@STARPOWER.NET
Sun Jun 17 18:33:01 EDT 2007

Well, Howie Solomon can have his opinion and I can have mine.

Not all African-American musicians are blues musicians.  And there is
nothing wrong with NOT being a blues musician.  There are many other
valid kinds of music out there.  Havens is an African-American musician
who plays folk/pop music.

I've been listening to Richie Havens since back in my high school days
(late 60s) when his first few Verve/Forecast LPs came out and I've seen
him live a couple of times.  He is a folk/pop musician, and one with his
own fairly unique "sound."  He was part of the whole Greenwich Village
scene in the 60s -- during the time when the beatnik scene transformed
into the hippie scene.  That's the scene he came out of.  Whether he
opened for various blues acts is irrelevant. He wasn't and isn't a blues
musician.

Again, that being said is NOT a criticism of Richie Havens.  Sometimes
it seems that people on the Blues-L act like the word "blues" is
synonymous with the words "good" or "valid" -- as though the test of
whether an artist is good or valid is whether their music contains
elements of blues.  I just don't see music that way.  Although I am a
blues fan, I don't see all music through a blues lens.

Ironically for this whole discussion, Bob Dylan -- composer of the song
depicted in the Havens video clip that started this whole thread -- is
arguably much more (I mean much, much, MUCH more) a blues man that
Richie Havens could or would be in this lifetime or any other.  The
amount of blues-rooted music in Dylan's repertoire is staggering.
However "License to Kill" is not among Dylan's blues-infused works.  It
is, in any event, a great tune -- one of the few outright protest songs
from latter-day Dylan.

-Steve H