relativley unknown blues CDs

Tom Muck tom@maild.inte-net.com
Sat Jun 16 10:12:51 EDT 2007

There is a wealth of stuff in the old Testament releases -- Down Home Blues
Harp, Down Home Slide and other compilations, not to mention all the
Nighthawk, Johnny Young, Cotton, Johnny Shines, Walter Horton, etc.

Then you have the well-known artists and their lesser-known but excellent
releases: Muddy Waters with "One More Mile", "Collaboration", and "Goin' Way
Back". Big Bill Broonzy's various 50's recordings and live releases (all
great) or his interviews with Studs Terkel (from the Smithsonian, I believe)
where he sings live during the interviews, Lonnie Johnson's recordings from
the 60's are great.

Some lesser known blues guys that I think would appeal to people are Black
Ace, Tommy McLennan, Baby Face Leroy, Homesick James...there are a million
of them.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonard Watkins" <mannish@alltel.net>
To: <BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:40 AM
Subject: relativley unknown blues CDs

      I am searching for an article to write for the local BS - I was gonna
write about 5 unknown gems so to speak - Keep in mind I am talking unknown
to the average blues fan.  Funky Worm is definitely one there, Doug MacLeods
'Ain't The Blues Evil" and I am considering Champ Jack's 'Blues From The
Gutter"

I don't think Blues From The Gutter is really unknown to many. So I am
asking doesn't everyone here own it..?

I have to use CDs I got obviously I considered Johnny Young, Duke Levines
'Country Soul Guitar' but it's out of print, The Blues World Of Little
Walter on Delmark

Any suggestions - I probably don't have it but suggest anyway :-)
thanks
LW

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org