MySpace

Joe McGaha bookings@barnburnersblues.com
Fri Jun 1 00:26:17 EDT 2007

Thanks, Richard!  I should know better.  "Ignorance of the law is no
excuse", as the cops love to tell me!  :)

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG] On Behalf Of
Richard Pelletier
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:53 PM
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: MySpace

Steve,
Here we go again! If you post somebody's copyright material it is against
the law.
whether you are selling it or not.
End of story
The copyright issues on My Space are rarely enforced. Everyone is doing it,
but that does not change the law
I am sure that a few examples will be made sooner or later. The secret word
is without consent. I can't Imagine
any Blues musician that I know that would complain about you helping him to
promote his or her Art.
But if you take his or her Dvd or Cd which he or she makes a living off and
just decide that you have the right to give it away without his or her
permission you are wrong. If I could do that I would give my neighbors
Mercedes to my wife.
I am not making a personal judgment here or I would be talking a different
tune. There are some guidelines
relative to promotional incomplete tunes, like under 30 seconds.
Even myself as I learnt the hard way. I shoot video and many shoots I spec,
meaning I pay all the dough for the shoot. That does not mean I have the
right to distribute the video without the artist permission. I only have
intellectual rights which means I own the video footage on that tape But I
can't distribute it to the public.because the artist has the copyright on
the music.
To make a long story shorter. If the person you want to help is alive he or
she is only a phone call or email away.
For me if I make a mistake it's stupidty. If most people here do it it's
just doing what everone elce is doing.

Back to editing  but always lurking
 Richard Pelletier
www.jukejointvideo.com