Now that SRV is gone who's next in bringing Blues to mainstream?

chefoblues@aol.com chefoblues@aol.com
Wed Jan 24 17:10:27 EST 2007

 I agree with Fred.  Often popular music is just a manifestation of what ever social pathology is dominant at the time.  The real art and culture is not being marketed mainstream but is being sought out and relished by a more illucidated few that care enough about class, culture and history to seek out the music and art that reflects the vision and wisdom of true artesans.

Meanwhile popular trite headed for the trash can where it belongs is the primary concern of the majority of people today...just check the top searches if you don't believe me.

chefo

-----Original Message-----
From: fdabney@nmsu.edu
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG Sent: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: Now that SRV is gone who's next in bringing Blues to mainstream?

> The voices in my head sometimes say if a music or art form can not sustain > itself then what is the purpose for it to exist. e

I don't agree. The situation is such that there are all kinds of music
that will never appeal to a mass market. Classical, jazz, blues, other
musics that appeal to an audience which listens but who will never
be a giant audience.

There is a viewpoint that if it's successful it's "sold out" and has
little merit.

I don't buy that, but having worked in public radio/"fine arts"
for close to forty years I know we could have had a bigger
audience had we gone mainstream, but it's been far more
satisfying to us and to those who support us doing what we
do.

Fred D
NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com