A Stupid Question

Joel Fritz willie_mctell@comcast.net
Wed Jan 24 12:51:12 EST 2007

Beats me.  I don't know blues but I know what I like.

If you have the respect of musicians you respect that's it.  Doesn't
mean financial success.  <g>  There's a mystique that's grown up around
the blues that seems to me to be part hype and part the results of eager
white critics asking blues players what makes a blues player.  The ODBG
answered the question, often with what the critics wanted to hear.  It's
like any form of music.  If you feel it and can play it that's what
counts.

Bix Beiderbecke and Benny Goodman were from white middle class families
and became jazz players at a time when  jazz had the same kind of
mystique.  Willie McTell got a pretty good education in schools for the
blind.  Lonnie Johnson came from a respected family of musicians in New
Orleans.  Charles Brown had a chemistry degree and taught it. Johnny
Otis' father owned a neighborhood grocery store.  None of them were
exposed to mule farts.

Lisa Kelly wrote:
> What is the exact makeup of a bluesman or woman?
>
> I hear players say oh I will not get my stuff played on radio or a record deal because I am not black, or I play a certain guitar or I can't play  certain songs because they will be considered to rock for such and such blues station.  If I am female I need to be big and black to be heard and taken seriously.
>
> Who makes up the rules as to who is or isn't a real bluesman / woman?
>
> Just curious
>
> Lisa

It's never too late to do something your parents didn't want you to do.
When that time comes Barrelhouse Solly will be there for you.  He cares.

Tunes:  http://www.myspace.com/barrelhousesolly
Fractious felines:  http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell