Suncoast Blues News

E Willett unklegeo@msn.com
Wed Jan 17 19:23:09 EST 2007

SUNCOAST BLUES SOCIETY...................Your Mojo Support Group

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Dr. Martin Luther King

We came, We saw, We ate pizza!  The Jimmy Griz "Spotlight" at Pastino's was a blast.like all Griz Gigz.We had a good bunch of SBS faithful, and Chicago Blues madman Steve Arvey to boot!  It was a hoot watching Steve watch Jimmy!  When your playing impresses another musician, you've done something!

I'm George Willett (george@suncoastblues.org<mailto:george@suncoastblues.org>)..Is It Friday Yet?

NEWS

The University Blues...

James Randolph, our Blues In Schools/Libraries Guru asked me to tell you about an upcoming gig that's kinda' both!  On Thurs, Jan. 18th (Tomorrow) at 4:00 pm Dr. Scott Simon will be giving a brief presentation on the history of blues guitar and then an acoustic and electric solo guitar performance. The presentation will be about a 30 min and the performance 40 min. Dr. Simon is a guitarist with 10-plus years in the music business with a background in Delta & Texas blues, and a professor here at USF. You're welcome to more info from his website as well, at http://shell.cas.usf.edu/~ssimon/<http://shell.cas.usf.edu/~ssimon/>. The Blues in the Library program is co-sponsored by the Suncoast Blues Society and the USF School of Library and Information Science.

University Of South Florida
Main Campus Library
5th Floor-Grace Allen Room
The Tampa Campus Library (4202 E. Fowler Ave, Tampa - 813-974-2721) is at the center of campus on Fowler & Leroy Collins. Parking is next to the library.

Walker Smith Group Memphis Fund Raiser Concert..

As you may of heard.... the WALKER SMITH GROUP has been chosen to represent the Suncoast Blues Society in the Blues Foundation IBC Competition. This is an unsigned artist competition and, as you would expect, there is not a big sponsor footing the bill  SOOOO....

You are invited - YOU ARE INVITED!

Who: Walker Smith Group

What: Memphis Fund Raiser Concert (BYOB)

Where:  The Vaughan Family Farm in Parrish FL (see below)

When:  Saturday, Jan 20, 6:00 pm until ?????

Why: Because they need the money!

Come out and support The Blues! The show is free, but donations are appreciated.  All musicians are welcome to come and jam.. To Map Quest your directions use the address 6650 Martha Rd, Parrish FL. It's a pretty straight shot off of 301 but If you need further assistance with directions please contact Walker.

An Opportunity To Make Music....

The Wine Cellar Nightclub (17307 Gulf Blvd., N. Reddington Beach) and LUCIAN And The ALL STARS will host a Jazz and Blues Jam Session on Mondays from 7:00-11:00 pm.  All musicians and singers are invited to attend this event. Players are asked to bring their own instruments and Guitar Players should bring a small amp. This is a great opportunity to make music with Lucian and the All Stars. For more info please call: Randall Ierna - 727-647-0813

Here's A Real Treat..

On Sat, Feb. 24th and Sun, Feb. 25th it's the Clearwater Sea-Blues Festival, a FREE show at Coachman Park (301 Drew St. Clearwater) with a seafood fest included. The City of Clearwater is hosting this show and here's the line up: SATURDAY: RENT MONEY, JIMMY GRISWOLD, CHRIS BEARD, COCO MONTOYA, and JOHNNY WINTER. SUNDAY: ANGEL For BLUES, DAMON FOWLER GROUP, TINSLEY ELLIS, ERIC LINDELL, AND ERIC SARDINAS. The SBS will have a booth at the fest so stop by and say "Hi" and let's hope for some warm weather!

Blues Foundation Membership Drive.....

The Blues Foundation is continuing its membership drive in December. November saw a net increase of 96, which puts them at 568 new members since the drive started on July 1. They're averaging 100 net new members each month since then. You'd still be surprised at the number of blues fans, society officials, musicians, club owners and other folks who interact with them on a regular basis who are not members. To survive and to thrive, The Blues Foundation must be member supported. They can't count on government funds, corporate sponsorships or foundation grants to be the lifeblood of this organization. The people who believe that this music is important to their lives have the duty to support it and one of the ways is to be a member of The Blues Foundation.

COMING ATTRACTIONS

Side Door Jazz Event.....

The Al Downing Tampa Bay Jazz Association presents the MICHAEL ROYAL TRIO at 7:30 pm

Thurs, Jan. 25th at The Palladium, (253 5th Avenue N, St. Pete).  This Side Door Jazz event will feature Michael Royal on piano, Richard Drexler on bass and Johnny Moore on drums.  Co-sponsored by the city of St. Petersburg. Admission is $20.00, $15.00 for jazz club and Palladium members. 727-822-3590

Bringin' In A Whopper......

On Fri, Jan. 26th Skippers Smokehouse  (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) is bringin' in a whopper! It's the LEGENDARY RHYTHM & BLUES REVUE, featuring The TOMMY CASTRO Band, RONNIE BAKER BROOKS, MAGIC DICK, and DEANNA BOGART!  On this Tour, each artist will perform a 30-minute set with the Tommy Castro Band, and the show closes with an electrifying jam (the highlight of the evening) sure to thrill and satisfy any blues fan!

This really big show kicks off at 8:00 pm.

Jook Joint With JOHNNY RAWLS.........
On Sat, Jan. 27th 2007 we're kicking off the New Year with one of the best Soul/Blues singers on the circuit today! Johnny not only sings and plays guitar but also is a much in demand producer. We're very happy to showcase his talents on the intimate stage at Dave's Aqua Lounge. Only $7.00 for a night of sweet soul blues! It kicks off at 9:30 pm and goes 'til 1:00 am or so...

No Panic In The Streets Please....

The VELVET HAMMER Band was moved from this Friday to next week, Fri, Jan. 26th, at the Old Packinghouse (987 Packing House Rd. Sarasota).  No panic in the streets, please, they're safe and sound!

Some Acoustic Blues And Some Electric Blues....

On Fri, Feb 9th, we're doing something a little different at Dave's. TERRY GARLAND is a great acoustic Bluesman that's played for the SBS a couple times in the last 9 years and he'll be joining DW GILL and the BLUE PHANTOMS for a double bill. Terry will go on at 8:00 pm and then DW and the band will alternate sets with him. So we'll get some acoustic blues and some electric blues all for only $7.00 at Dave's Aqua Lounge (10820 Gandy Blvd., St. Pete - 727-576-1091). Don't forget, this show starts at 8:00pm!

It Might Be Time To Mention...

I thought it might be time to mention that our part-time resident, Chicago's AL MILLER has a gig at The Metro "Wine And Coffees" (711 S Osprey Ave, Sarasota - 941-365-1800 on Fri, Feb 16that 8:00 pm. Al is a harp player/ guitarist who's released a couple CDs backed by some of The Windy City's best, and he hopes you get a chance to swing by.

Jook Joint Show with Sweet Daddy Cool Breeze...
Sat, Feb 17th -SWEET DADDY COOL BREEZE is a group that's been touring Florida in the winter for several years but only played our area for mid week shows at the Ringside Cafe. The SBS felt it was time to turn more of our members on to this fine band by having them play for us at Dave's Aqua Lounge (10820 Gandy Blvd., St. Pete - 727-576-1091) on a weekend. That time has come so join us at 9:30pm for a get down party! Only $7.00!

Here's A Real Treat..

On Sat, Feb. 24th and Sun, Feb. 25th it's the Clearwater Sea-Blues Festival, a FREE show at Coachman Park (301 Drew St. Clearwater) with a seafood fest included. The City of Clearwater is hosting this show and here's the line up: SATURDAY: RENT MONEY, JIMMY GRISWOLD, CHRIS BEARD, COCO MONTOYA, and JOHNNY WINTER . SUNDAY: ANGEL For BLUES, DAMON FOWLER GROUP, TINSLEY ELLIS, ERIC LINDELL, AND ERIC SARDINAS. The SBS will have a booth at the fest so stop by and say "Hi" and let's hope for some warm weather!

ERIC LINDELL Celebrates "Alligator" Debut..

On Tues, Feb. 27th California-born, New Orleans-schooled Eric Lindell will celebrate the release of CHANGE IN THE WEATHER, his Alligator Records debut, with a live performance at Fogartyville Café (800 17th Ave. W. Bradenton - 941-741-9755).  Showtime is 8:00 pm and tickets are $10.00 in advance/$12.00 day of show.

This Just In..

LITTLE RICHARD is going to play at the Florida Strawberry festival in Plant City on Wed, Mar. 7th. Showrtime is at 4:00pm, and admission is $10.00 and $15.00.  For more info contact  813-754-1996  or  www.fistrawberryfestival.com<http://www.fistrawberryfestival.com/> .

THIS WEEK IN BLUES HISTORY

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was born on Jan. 15, 1929....