Buddy Guy's Legends closing

Jef Jaisun jef@jaisunphoto.com
Sat Jan 6 14:16:51 EST 2007

>Columbia College has been planning to build a student center at the
>site of Legends ever since the land was donated to the school in 1999.

Yeah, that's what we need to bolster our waning blues culture.
Another student center.

>At one time Guy was going to move to the northeast corner of Balbo
>and Wabash. He was unable to build a 700-seat club on that space
>because of a snag with a lakefront board that approved neighborhood
>aesthetics.

That's the corner where the taco joint is, right? That talk goes back
at least four years. "Neighborhood aesthetics?" Give me a break!
Anyone who's ever walked that "neighborhood" knows what a joke that
is. Parking lots, parking garages, taco joints, humongous hotels and
the freaking El. "Neighborhood aesthetics," my ASA.  I'm wondering
about the proposed size, though. What's the current capacity at
Legends? It can't be more than 400 (even though sometimes it feels
like 1400). Maybe if Buddy scaled back his proposal it would be approved.

Legends is the only blues club in that area, and it's within walking
distance of the park. That's one reason it's a popular stop during
Chicago Blues Fest weekend. You can only do so much hanging out at
Miller's Pub.

Like Son implies, the centers of learning and culture in this country
have become less about learning and culture and more about bringing
in the bucks. There's a clear lack of understanding of why places
like Legends are critical to the survival of America's most unique
musical art forms. (I include both blues and jazz in that.) It's
neglect born of ignorance. More than half the population of the U.S.
wasn't even alive when Nixon was chased from office; how can they be
expected to know what the blues is all about when the Captains of
Industry and Education are so busy obliterating it from the cultural landscape?

Gee...maybe someone at Columbia College could teach them, in the
existing student center. Then maybe they wouldn't need a new one at
754 S. Wabash.

Jef

         New Orleans - Chicago - Memphis - Seattle
            The world's best musicians looking their best
                      http://www.jaisunphoto.com
          2007 Recipient -- Keeping The Blues Alive