Does B.B. know about this?

T-Roy t-roy@sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 6 13:43:30 EST 2007

While to the uninitiated, this may sound fair and reasonable, I strongly
disagree with this position. Been there-done that. Here's the deal... Bands
are in the business of making music - not marketing plans or whoring out
their friends and family. That's what marketers and promoters and club
owners are for. Getting the music rehearsed and right is hard enough. It's
on the club to find and promote the right "content" for their club that will
draw people. This is what "auditions" including interviewing the act are
for.

Naturally, it will only help everyone involved if the band DOES do some
self-promo but to make it a requisite will weed out some potentially great
bands that the owner could make hay with. What they end up with is a bunch
of teenagers or middle-aged hacks that have a list of folks not interested
in the music or the club, and unlikely to come back again as they will go
out and support their buddies in the band a time or two. If the club hires
bad bands who don't draw or fail to resonate with the audience, that's on
them.

You're essentially asking a band to do something that is not necessarily in
their skill set. In other words... setting the band and the club up for
failure in the long run. It's also a lazy way to get people in the door that
fails to build any sort of brand equity and customer engagement for the
club.

No disrespect intended but we musicians and promoters have seen this tactic
fail time and again.

T-Roy