Death Of Bessie Smith

BluesSoul8@aol.com BluesSoul8@aol.com
Mon Apr 23 15:33:50 EDT 2007

Wasn't the black hospital what is now known as the the Riverside Hotel in
Clarksdale that Rat runs?
Joanna

I looked into this online a few years back (so my memory is a bit fuzzy) and
it did appear to be a myth perpetuated by her son and John Hammond (the
father, not the performer). Even John Hammond backed off later. Neither of those
people were anywhere near the scene of the accident. The most reliable source
would seem to me to be the white doctor who stopped to help at the accident. He
denies the account of her being turned away at the white hospital. If I
remember correctly, the black hospital was closer but I couldn't swear to that one.
--
maxdog