Death Of Bessie Smith

Alan Lloyd alan.lloyd.3@GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 23 09:46:15 EDT 2007

This has been discussed on blues-L before; it should be possible to find the
thread in the archives. The conclusion, if I recall correctly, is much as
Maxdog has stated.
Alan Lloyd
London UK

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG] On Behalf Of
Walter Potter
Sent: 23 April 2007 14:43
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: Death Of Bessie Smith

I looked into this online a few years back (so my memory is a bit fuzzy) and
it did appear to be a myth perpetuated by her son and John Hammond (the
father, not the performer). Even John Hammond backed off later. Neither of
those people were anywhere near the scene of the accident. The most reliable
source would seem to me to be the white doctor who stopped to help at the
accident. He denies the account of her being turned away at the white
hospital. If I remember correctly, the black hospital was closer but I
couldn't swear to that one.
--
maxdog

From: Jeff Horton <jeffreymhorton@TX.RR.COM>
> The other day Candye Kane mentioned that Bessie Smith died because she was

> refused admittance to a white hospital following a serious nighttime car
> accident.  Here's a link to an article that debunks that story as a myth:
>
> http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/jarvis6.html
>
> I'd be interested to hear from blues historians on the list if they think
> this accounting is factual.
>

> NaCl K9
> http://www.bluesviews.com

http://www.lsoft.com