Quote from Musselwhite in NC (San Diego) Times

Tom Muck tom@maild.inte-net.com
Thu Apr 19 11:26:23 EDT 2007

> Perhaps, but the willingness (and growing ability) of so many fans to
> appropriate the music w/out paying for it (the "hey, burn me one of those"
> deal), the cost of fuel and how it relates to touring, or not, and the
> poor economy's affect on blues bars around most of the country--is sure
> putting one hell of a strain on it. imo.
> chuck

I disagree about the economy -- unemployment is among the lowest it has ever
been. But aside from that, the points you made are valid, but on the
flipside there has never been a better time for musicians, writers, and
artists. Sure, it's as hard as ever to get a record deal, and drinking age
has dried up a lot of live music venues for local bands, but it's easier
than it has ever been to put out your own music -- for free or for profit.
You can burn CDs of your own music, print your own labels and inserts, and
do it for less money than has ever been possible. Could you imagine 20 years
ago that you could purchase 100 CDs for $10.00 and literally burn albums for
free? You can put up a web site for next to nothing and have immediate
publicity. You can post songs on MySpace and have access to millions of
listeners. You can post videos taken on a home camera on Youtube and have
access to millions of viewers for free. It seems the only thing holding back
artists these days is talent. If you have talent, success can come.

Tom