Suncoast Blues News

E Willett unklegeo@msn.com
Wed Apr 18 19:35:39 EDT 2007

SUNCOAST BLUES SOCIETY...................Your Mojo Support Group

"It's tough to stay married.My wife kisses the dog on the lips, yet she won't drink from my glass!" - Rodney Dangerfield

Friday night at Skipper's: Well, if the set includes the music of Paul Simon, Merle Haggard, Muddy Waters, and Hanks Sr. & Jr. plus original material, has acoustic slide, Telecaster, lap steel and pedal steel, and a guest set by Bo Diddly Jr. it's a safe bet you're hearing The Damon Fowler Group. (Which is something I recommend highly, and try to do on a regular basis myself!).  Damon has a laid-back, humorous stage presence, too, which makes for all the MORE fun.

And I'll tell ya', Saturday night was MEMorable!  The Mem Shannon "Jook Joint" at Dave's was an amazing show!  He started the night with some of his funny and thoughtful original songs and as the crowd got wilder he got funkier!  Great guitar and vocals, a tight rockin' band, and a N'awlins cat who could read the crowd!  Good Stuff!

 I'm George Willett (george@suncoastblues.org<mailto:george@suncoastblues.org>).. Myspace.com/suncoastgeorge

NEWS

Uncle George Wants YOU..

We're in the process of signing up volunteers to work our booth at The Tampa Bay Blues Fest.  If you'd like to help us out for a while (and get in free that day) give me a phone call at 813-920-2566.  We still have some slots open on each day of the fest. (Please try to call between 6:00-9:00 pm..I have to get up early)

And Chuck Does, Too..

Chuck Ross is looking for "General" volunteers for the Festival, too. They really need help during the nights!  Contact them at Chuck's office (Charles W. Ross-727/502-5000) and they'll  help you to volunteer.

This Just In....

SUSAN TEDESCHI and LITTLE FEAT are taxiing into Jannus Landing on Sat, Apr. 21st. The doors open at 7:00 pm, Showtime is 8:00 pm.  Tickets are $29.99 in advance, and $33.00 day of show..

Bringin' Back "Harmaniac"..

We just wanted to let you know that our friend Peter Fleming at bandVillage is reissuing "Harmaniac" by Rock Bottom. Originally released in 1993, this disc has been out of print for many years, so they're very excited to be able to release it again. The disc is being manufactured now and will be officially released on May 4th at the Tampa Bay Blues Festival. (This is the one that had "Diamond Teeth Mary" singing "Keep Your Hand Off Of Him" and "Stormy Monday" with Rock and the band.)

You CAN Tell A "Book" By His Covers..

JORMA KAUKONEN has recorded ROY BOOK BINDER'S song "The Preacher Picked The Guitar", (a tribute to Rev. Gary Davis) for Red House Records......The album "Stars In My Crown" is climbing the Ameicana Charts!

Blues In The Library.....

Dr. Scott Simon will be performing a Blues in the Library event at the Chairman's Library in the Tampa Performing Arts Center/Patel Conservatory Noon - 1:00 PM on Saturday May 12th in the TECO room. There will be a brief presentation exploring the blues/jazz connection followed by a live acoustic and electric guitar performance

Starting Jun 1- We Bring The Anniversary Party To The People!
The SBS really wants to celebrate our 10th Anniversary in a big way. We realize that most of our events occur at Skipper's in Tampa and Dave's Aqua Lounge in St. Pete so we decided to bring our party to more folks to spread the joy. We've got Roger "Hurricane" Wilson joining forces with the Damon Fowler Group and we are partying the whole first weekend of June. We'll have our merchandise for sale and we'll have some things to raffle off. So if it's too far to drive to Skipper's on June 9th for our grand celebration, please come and join us closer to your home at these clubs! Here's where we'll be:

Admission is $5.00 adv/SBS members, and $7.00 at the door
Blue Note Lounge (4658 Commercial Wy [US-19],Spring Hill - 352-596-8679) at 9 pm on Fri, June 1st

Ace's Lounge (4343 Palma Sola Blvd, Bradenton  -  941-795-3886)at 9pm on Sat. June 2nd Admission is $5.00 adv/SBS members, and $7.00 at the door
Five O'Clock Club (1930 Hillview Avenue Sarasota - 941-366-5555)at 5pm on Sun. June 3rd  $5.00 at the door.

SBS 10th Anniversary Party - Sat, Jun 9th...

It's hard to believe but it's been 10 years since we started the SBS and we plan to celebrate in a big way. JOHN MOONEY A BLUSIANA will headline the festivities with his 'Nawlins' style blues and SARASOTA SLIM will kick it off with some southern soul blues. This will be one helluva a party at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) !! We'll have the autographed guitar to raffle off plus lots of other goodies. It all starts at 8:00pm. Tickets are $15.00 in advance/SBS members, and $18.00 at the door. See you there!

 COMING ATTRACTIONS

There's a First Time For Everything......

Next Wed, April 25th BLUE LIGHTNING plays for the first time at The Zone, (121 E. Tarpon Ave, Tarpon Springs, 727-938-9494), from 7:00pm to 11:00pm.  The Bolt Boyz are very excited and looking forward to turning the crowd on to their Hot Funky Rockin' Blues!  Thanks to all who made it out to see BLUE LIGHTNING at the Swigwam and Quaker Steak & Lube last weekend!

Official "CD Release Show"....

Look for the hat, accept no substitutes! On Fri, Apr. 27th Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) brings you A JIMMY THACKERY And The DRIVERS official "CD Release Show". Jimmy's new CD "Solid Ice" is due out in May on Telarc. The good news is that they will have copies to sell here at Skipper's! Show time is 8:00 pm, and admission is $12.00 Adv/SBS, and $15.00 walk-up.

A WSLR Benefit with David Jacobs-Strain...

On Fri, Apr. 27th, at 8:00pm at Fogartyville Café (800 17th Ave. W. Bradenton - 941-741-9755). DAVID JACOBS-STRAIN's singing and steel-string guitar artistry (finger-picking and bottleneck-slide), receive critical praise, but what sets David apart is the moral conviction and emotional depth of his performance.  His music resonates with the old, reflecting his early preoccupation with acoustic country blues, and at the same time is decidedly contemporary, and innovative. At 22, David Jacobs-Strain is a veteran of the national club and festival circuit.  Tickets:  $12 advance/$15 door. For reservations, call 941-741-9755.

Support Your Local Artists..

On Fri, April 27th it's the WENDY RICH CD RELEASE PARTY at Ace's Lounge (4343 Palma Sola Blvd, Bradenton - ). Wendy's brand new CD is ready!  Titled "This Time", the 12 song CD features the Soulshakers : Steve "RED" Lasner, Duane Plikunas, Stevie Backbone Way, Vince Caruso, and Dwight Champagne...plus special guests on the recording:TC Carr, Twinkle, Mike MacArthur, George Harris & John Richard. Come on out from 9:30pm-1:30 am and be one of the first to get your copy! SUPPORT LOCAL ARTISTS!!

Delbert In May...
The Tampa Theatre is bringing DELBERT McCLINTON in concert at on Fri, May 4th at 8:00pm. Tickets are on sale now. To purchase tickets go to: www.ticketmaster.com/venue/106905

Blues By The River..

It's time for the 8th annual Cotee River Seafood Festival in New Port Richey.  This year's event features: LAZY BOY And The ROCKERS, The BACK ALLEY BLUES BAND, LIZ PENNOCK And DR. BLUES, ANGEL FOR BLUES, and the headliner BILL "THE SAUCE BOSS" WHARTON!  It happens on Sat, May 12th at Sims Park in downtown N.P.R.

Take Back The Night......

On Sun, May 13th at Skipper's Smokehouse  (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) It's the WOMEN'S BLUES REVUE'S 11TH Annual "Take Back The Night" benefit for domestic violence shelters The Spring, Casa, and The Haven. The show starts at 5:00 pm.  Admission is $7.00 Adv/SBS and $10.00 walk-up.

Let's Rock The House.....

On Fri, May 25th The SBS and Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa  - 813-971-0666) are happy to announce the return of WALTER TROUT to the Skipperdome!  LAZY BOY And The ROCKERS will open the show. Tickets are $12.00 in adv/SBS, and $15.00 at the door. (Get your Trout-fan friend to join the SBS! It'll save 'em three bucks, and they'll get a year's worth of Blues nirvana!) Show starts at 8:00pm. Let's rock the house!!

SBS 10th Anniversary Party - Sat, Jun 9th...

It's hard to believe but it's been 10 years since we started the SBS and we plan to celebrate in a big way. JOHN MOONEY And BLUSIANA will headline the festivities with his 'Nawlins' style blues and SARASOTA SLIM will kick it off with some southern soul blues. This will be one helluva a party!! We'll have the autographed guitar to raffle off plus lots of other goodies. It all starts at 8:00pm. Tickets are $15.00 in advance/SBS members, and $18.00 at the door. See you there!

THIS WEEK IN BLUES HISTORY

Blues pianist, guitarist, singer and songwriter Ann Rabson was born on April 12th 1943 in NYC, NY.  Ms. Rabson is pianist/vocalist in Saffire:The Uppity Blues Women, and is also an accomplished Piedmont style guitarist. (She began her career as a guitarist and didn't take up piano until she was nearly 40). In 1984 Rabson and one of her guitar students, Gaye Adegbalola formed Saffire and began playing around Virginia. They soon added bassist Earlene Lewis and committed themselves to a full-time career in music. Aside from her "Saffire" recordings, Rabson has done 2 solo projects, "Music Makin Mama", which got three WC Handy nominations, and "Struttin` My Stuff" which was also critically acclaimed. She is also an avid Blues history buff.