FCC Settles With Radio In Support Of Independent Music

Michele Lundeen luckymljj@msn.com
Wed Apr 18 14:22:59 EDT 2007

Thanks Mac, that's pretty much what I was getting from it as well. Mostly
that this ruling may open the door for Indies that are also deserving but
didn't have the "budget"! Ricky/Mike, I agree, but I think we "get" the
underlying message that the pickin's are slim on mainstream radio. Or am I
missing something here myself? (course the first time I read it fast I
thought it said "slime" ...oops... so maybe I am missing something! HA!)
I thought it was interesting that the article chose to point out the
"Republican" and "Democrat"!  ummm
"FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, a Republican, said the settlements showed the
agency was taking a tough stand and "will not tolerate" payola or other
violations of FCC regulations.
However, Commissioner Michael Copps, a Democrat, said a wave of
consolidation in the broadcasting industry has also played a big role in
eliminating radio access for independent musicians. Concentration of station
ownership "makes for radio that sounds the same everywhere," he said. Copps
urged radio listeners to send an e-mail to the FCC in coming months about
whether they are hearing more and better music."

Michele Lundeen
www.michelelundeen.com
www.myspace.com/queenofsteam