A Letter Throwed in Your Back Yard

Tobias Wood Henderson expat56@hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 01:21:17 EDT 2007

When I began my professional career in the Blues, it was 1955 and two things
applied. First, my father had just informed me that due to my mother's
ethnicity, I was a jew and that I should be proud of that and allow no one
at any time to disparage my race or the religion associated with my race.
Then he went further and said that no one of any race should be disparaged
for that, not for their sex, not for their politics, and not for their
religion. He said that every person has an inherent right to meet God on
their own terms. Whatever satisfied their soul was their right. He said that
no one had a monopoly on God, not even the Hindu with their remarkable
pantheon of avatars. He said that Women could do any job a man could, even
if they had to make adjustments (due to different muscularity to menn) in
the "way" that they performed their job. No one had the right to pay them
less, to treat them with less respect, or to assume that their place in the
universe was to "serve" men. The second thing that applied was that my
mother (who was a jew) hated everything that was not White and Protestant.
None of her brothers and sisters shared these sentiments but my mother was
the kind of peckerhead that I refused to be. So I left home and thereby
missed being educated in hatred and intolerance. Although I physically
returned in 1959, when I was 14, I never really came home. By the time I got
back I had a bank account, my own car and a reputation as a bandleader and
musician. I just did not play for white folks. I did not get to date much
because the parents would not allow their girls to date a "N" lover. They
were not bad people or bad parents. They just represented what they thought
was right. As the times changed, so did they and now, when I am down that
way, occasionally I run into a mother or father from those long ago days.
99% of them apologise to me for those days. So, to sum up. Racism, Sexism,
Ageism, in fact, all the "isms" are a matter of personal choice mostly.
People who practice these anti-social specialities are often misguided and
have been manipulated into positions they believe they cannot abandon
without "betraying" some cause or other. They should be dealt compassion
because they are us. The Blues is and should be a means of communication
that breaks down barriers. The rappers don't bother me because the best of
them draw a picture of the bottom edge of society that is dead accurate (no
pun intended). I know this because I spent time in jail with some of them
and their art is drawn from the mean streets of LA and other major cities.
They mostly don't do the things they sing about but some of them have and
music is the only way out of the ghetto. You can fantasize about American
society all you want to but the fact is the rich have gotten richer and the
poor have gotten poorer. As the standard of living in this country has risen
the level of poverty as defined by the Federal government has also risen.
Now, if you are at the poverty level you have an annual income of
$25,000.00. Since I am personally poor and disabled and receive SSI, I am
perfectly familiar with poverty. I have an annual income of $10,200.00 which
has to support two adults. Can I understand slavery? Maybe, I am a jew after
all and in the whole Bible, we were slaves. Can I understand what a Black
person feels about his or her situation or what should be after nearly 300
years and is not yet? After living a good part of my life in Europe where
slavery was overturned at least 50 years before it died in America and a
Black man in Scotland is simply a Scotsman and entitled to whatever he or
she needs based on need and not colour, No, I am still culture shocked after
returning here as is my English wife. But, I go wherever I want to and I
have no fear. My heart is strong in the belief that a man is a man and a
woman is woman and the colour of the outside is no barrier to love or
friendship. I sing the Blues and play the Blues and write Blues because that
is what I believe to be the best form of communication so far devised in
this country. If I am ever menaced because of my colour then if necessary I
will gladly die to preserve that person's right to menace me because I have
so far failed in my intense desire to make things better. I will not sit and
endlessly repeat old stuff with no relevance. I will fight to make my music
heard and defend my right to make my music because I give a damn. The "isms"
don't touch me any more than the Imuses and Limbaughs of this world do. I
recommend that everyone ought to read Rush Limbaugh's book. In there he
defined the fact that he found a "niche" in American society that "allowed
him to practice his art of communication and handsomely rewarded him for it"
He considers himself an "entertainer". One has to wonder what Joseph
Goebbels (Hitler's master of communications) would have made of Rush.
Goebbels founded the modern science of social communications and his books
on the subject are still studied. Rich people in Germany who hated democracy
put Hitler in power thinking they could control him (Whoops) and then he
murdered and imprisoned those very people. The point is simple. You do not
have to grow nothing from your roots and you can still turn back to the
people and take your art to them and change their minds, even if only one
mind at a time. What on earth does it matter who wrote or sang the song
first? What matters is how much of yourself you are willing to put into the
song when go before an audience. Believe me folks, old guitars and amps
don't matter either. I had them. My uncle was a friend of Lester Paulson and
when he and Mary Ford tangled in a messy divorce, he (Les Paul) gave a bunch
of his guitars to my uncle to give to me. So I had them. I had a Fender
Broadcaster with a radio-style toggle switch instead of a real pickup switch
and no truss rod in the neck. It was new when I bought it and damned near
unplayable. I had at least one of all the "famous" guitars and I blew up
amps on the radio show I had in Texas. They did not influence my "sound" on
the guitar or form it. My hands made my sound along with my ear. I have made
a 50 year career on my small light and you can do the same.

Stop whining about what was and get on with what is.

Tobias Wood (TW) Henderson
http://www.blueswolf.com
http://www.myspace.com/twhendersonband