On copyright and royalties again

Thom Myers thom_myers@sbbmail.com
Mon Apr 16 17:30:52 EDT 2007

Fred,
Unfortunately, I stand corrected. It became more apparent as we've been
handling the Fab Four (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and Sound Exchange). Everyone was
saying "8 cents, 11, cents etc." earlier and I knew that wasn't the correct
rate for the per play. What I didn't realize at the time was what they
defined as plays. We've also installed a link on our home page that directs
people to a petition by SaveTheStreams.org. As of today when I chimed in it
had 57,905 signatures. Would you mind if we posted a link to your letter on
our site, or is it to late?

Thom Myers
tmyers@aworldofblues.com
A World Of Blues
P.O. Box 806
Garden Valley, CA 95633
530/268-9166

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG] On Behalf Of Fred
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:54 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: On copyright and royalties again

I came across this post from Thom Myers regardint the Internet broadcast
royalty rates from last month, and I thought it needed a response:

In pertinent part, Thom said:

"Unless my math is completely shot..........someone forgot about a few zeros

to the right of the decimal point? .0008 isn't 8 cents, .0011 isn't 11
cents, .0014 isn't 14 cents, .0018 isn't 18 cents and .0019 isn't 19 cents
For A World Of Blues at the rate of fifteen songs a hour x .0011 x 24 hours,

a thirty day month will cost us $83.16   ...................?
(and that's an over estimate, I usually do 10-12 per hour)"

Thom, you left out one important part - that per play rate is multiplied by
the number of listeners you have.

If you average 100 listeners an hour, that $83.16 a month becomes
$8,316.00a month.  EIGHT THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED SIXTEEN DOLLARS.

A MONTH.

Unless you've got a spare hundred grand a year to spend on royalties, this
is probably going to cause some problems.

These rates are going to kill off most, if not all, the smaller stations,
which, as we know, is where we get to hear most of our blues these days.
I've written an article on what these new rates mean to recording artists,
especially those who count on smaller stations like Thom's.  It can be found
here:

http://counterpunch.com/wilhelms04102007.html

I have included in the article an open letter for artists to sign.  I've
been collecting names for nearly a week, and I will probably release the
list of signers next week.  If any recording artists here want to join in,
my email address appears at the end of the article.

And everyone else can write to their Congressional representatives to roll
back the rates.  That's what happened in 2002, and it will probably have to
happen again.

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org

4:22 PM