Imus Schmymus

No Name Available louisx@verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 15:18:11 EDT 2007

A very wise woman sent me this. It's the last I want to add to this
discussion:

    Those who suggest that Don Imus's firing indicates reverse discimination
and bigotry because such insults are a component of rap music indulge in
nonsense. The argument suggests that rap music speaks for and about all
blacks, while also implying that all parents of black youth embrace lyrics
that denigrate their young women.  A pretty insulting supposition to my
mind.
Certainly one would not argue that Paris Hilton with her sex tapes
represents
all young white women.
     Nationally syndicated columnists such as Stanley Crouch and Bob
Herbert,
as well as others, have been up in arms for some time about the negative
impact of rap lyrics on black youth. To suggest, as some have, that members
of the National Association of Black Journalists, whose credentials far
surpass those of Al Sharpton, couldn't come to their own conclusions about
Mr. Imus's statements is just plain silly..
      I can't imagine a parent who would be thrilled if a nationally
syndicated TV host chose to call their child a prostitute on air, whether in
slang terms or not, regardless of any musical genre that might exist.  Imus
stepped over the line and it caught up with him this time, so be it. He lost
his job because his sponsors began pulling out and rightly so.
     To my mind, if it were my daughter, the enormity of the stage on which
Mr. Imus chose to humiliate and insult my child at what should have been her
moment of triumph would have overridden any apology the man could have
possibly made.  I would hope many others in this country, white or black,
feel the same way. Thankfully it appears that is the case.