Guitar Mac And His Blues Express

gtrmac@prodigy.net gtrmac@prodigy.net
Mon Apr 16 14:38:04 EDT 2007

We had a good time playing the  Blues at the picnic in the park.
Here is A review Sacramento Blues Society. 4/16/07
                                      Guitar Mac
Rear View Mirror
by John Hulsman
Guitar Mac and the Blues Express at Picnic in the Park on 4 April 2007 .

Guitar Mac was the West Coast Blues Hall of Fame's, Blues Band Leader of the Year in 2006. Yet, somehow over the years, I had never heard him play with his band, the Blues Express. So when I saw that they were playing at the Davis Farmer's Market Picnic in the Park, a venue half of the distance to any Sacramento venue from my west side of the valley home, I decided to check them out.

Guitar Mac and the Blues Express were set up next to a large patio with tables, chairs and the beer and wine concession, and across the park lawn from the Farmer's Market shelter with its farmers, merchants and food vendors. The Blues Express was Rick on guitar, Tammy on bass, and Eric on drums. There was no sound system, just the amplifiers for the band's instruments.

True to his name, Guitar Mac had five guitars (that I could see) - everything from a steel hollow body to a rectangular solid body reminiscent of Bo Diddley's guitar. For the most part Guitar Mac played slide guitar - not the Roy Rogers style of maximum notes in the minimum time, but a style with a slower blues feel "sho nuff." The play list spanned the blues genre from Robert Johnson to Jimmy Hendrix and included quite a few Elmore James and Jimmy Reed songs, "yes, yes." Some songs were played to the traditional arrangements while others were played to the band's own arrangements. I'd say that feelings are mixed regarding some of the band's arrangements, but they do get one to give the songs a fresh listen. Rick played at least one extended solo in each of the three sets while Guitar Mac took the tip jar through the audience.

The size of the audience impressed me. The lawn and patio were filled with a cross section of the Davis population (and a few interlopers). There were several toddlers and preschoolers, brought by their parents or grandparents, jumping and turning to the music - a new generation of dancers learning to appreciate the blues. Two adult couples danced near the beer and wine concession for a time, but the Picnic in the Park is mainly a place to kick back and enjoy food, drink, good weather, great company and good music.

"GUITARMAC BLUES BAND LEADER 2006"
http://www.guitarmac.com
http://www.soundclick.com/guitarmac
http://www.myspace.com/guitarmac