giving credit where credit is due

Patrick Hertel bloozguy@TEKSAVVY.COM
Mon Apr 16 13:42:18 EDT 2007

  If the tune is the same but the words are totally different I assume credit
should still go to the originator. No?

  Take Magic Sam's "All of Your Love". Luther Johnson did it as "Hard Times
(Have Surely Come)" on Doin' the Sugar Too and credited Magic Sam but Rod
Piazza did it as "Down So Long" on Live At B.B. King's, Memphis and it was
credited to a "J.D. Harris".

   With something that obvious there must be something I am missing. Can
someone enlighten me? Was it not, in fact, a Magic Sam original (and an error
on Luther's part)?