Little Sonny Warner

Ron Weinstock rbluesw@YAHOO.COM
Sat Apr 14 09:24:39 EDT 2007

I just received a phone call from Katherine Warner and she told me that
Heywood 'Little Sonny' Warner passed away yesterday from complications
arising from prostate cancer. The Falls Church native is best known as
vocalist on Big Jay McNeely's "There is Something on Your Mind." A wonderful
singer, influenced by Ray Charles, he was a fixture on the Washington DC
blues scene the past several decades.  He was at one time valet for Lloyd
Price and was discovered by big Jay when he jumped on stage to sing with
McNeely at the Evans Grille in Forestville, Maryland. He was a highlight of
several DC Blues Festivals and his last performance was in early July 2004
at a Falls Church City Park.

I believe Larry Benicewicz had a lengthy piece on Little Sonny that appeared
in Real Blues years ago. Blues and Rhythm had a nice story on him a couple
years back.

Ron