the handys name change

Ricky Stevens deltabluz@hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:57:18 EDT 2007

It has to done with name recognition.

My understanding is that the name was changed because strange as it may seem
outside of the blues community very few people recognized the name "Handy
Awards" as being associated with W C Handy.  The usual response to the
phrase "Handy Award" was "What's that?"

The rationale was that changing the name to Blues Music Award will instantly
communicate to the general public just what the award is for.  Sort of like
the deal with the Country Music Awards-everybody instantly knows what they
are for.

I'm with you on this one, though.  I still refer to the event as the Handy
Awards and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Ricky Stevens
Arkabutla, Mississippi