Suncoast Blues News

E Willett unklegeo@msn.com
Wed Apr 11 19:31:37 EDT 2007

SUNCOAST BLUES SOCIETY...................Your Mojo Support Group "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" - A Ponderism Last Friday night at Skipper's was "Hot & Cold".Julie Black and Freight-Train Annie (and their bands) were hot.and the weather was.NOT!  Due to the chill the turn out wasn't great, but those of us there had a blast!  We saw some SBS buddy's, and even Pres. Ken was there!  On Saturday night Ken and I went to Springhill to check out "The Blue Note Lounge", and I'm pleased to say that it was pretty cool!  The owner's love what they're doing, and D.W. Gill And Blue Phantoms were playing, so fun WAS to be had.  (Some of you'll be glad to know that they have a pretty decent dance floor, too).  See ya' at "The Jook" on Saturday!

P.S - I've posted some CD reviews, etc. on "MySpace" at Myspace.com/suncoastgeorge.  Feel free to check it out..

 I'm George Willett (george@suncoastblues.org<mailto:george@suncoastblues.org>)......See Ken, I mentioned you.!

NEWS

So You Couldn't Make It To New Orleans...........

Check out Dave's Aqua Lounge (10820 Gandy Blvd., St. Pete - 727-576-109) on Sat, Apr 14th! So you couldn't make it to New Orleans for Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest this year? Well, we're bringing a touch of Nawlins' to Dave's with the blues singing cabby, MEM SHANNON. Mem has made a name for himself with his great lyrics as well as that Crescent City beat. This is sure to be a Jook to reMEMber! Still only $7.00! Show starts at 9:30pm.

Earn Your Blues 'Fest Tickets.

Once again Chuck Ross is giving our members a chance to earn a one-day Blues 'Fest ticket.  You do it by distributing flyers, posters and yard signs.  The time to meet is 11:00 am on Sat, Apr. 14th, and the place is The Ringside Café (2742 4th St. N. St. Pete. - 727-894-8465).  Don't pass up this chance to help Chuck AND help yourself!

You CAN Tell A "Book" By His Covers..

JORMA KAUKONEN has recorded ROY BOOK BINDER'S song "The Preacher Picked The Guitar", (a tribute to Rev. Gary Davis) for Red House Records......The album "Stars In My Crown" is climbing the Ameicana Charts!

SBS'er On WSLR..

On Fri, Apr. 13th, Cathy Kingsley, one of our "South Of The Bridge" connections is "guesting" on WSLR from 7:00-9:00 with Ripper of "Ripper's Rarities". It streams on the internet so people all over the world will be able to tune in. They'll be talking the Rolling Stones early Chicago Blues influences, and Chess records.  Kraig Kenning is doing a benefit for the station that night so they'll plug that and play him, too.

Blues In The Library.....

Dr. Scott Simon will be performing a Blues in the Library event at the Chairman's Library in the Tampa Performing Arts Center/Patel Conservatory Noon - 1:00 PM on Saturday May 12th in the TECO room. There will be a brief presentation exploring the blues/jazz connection followed by a live acoustic and electric guitar performance

Starting Jun 1- We Bring The Anniversary Party To The People!
The SBS really wants to celebrate our 10th Anniversary in a big way. We realize that most of our events occur at Skipper's in Tampa and Dave's Aqua Lounge in St. Pete so we decided to bring our party to more folks to spread the joy. We've got Roger "Hurricane" Wilson joining forces with the Damon Fowler Group and we are partying the whole first weekend of June. We'll have our merchandise for sale and we'll have some things to raffle off. So if it's too far to drive to Skipper's on June 9th for our grand celebration, please come and join us closer to your home at these clubs! Here's where we'll be:

Admission is $5.00 adv/SBS members, and $7.00 at the door
Blue Note Lounge (4658 Commercial Wy [US-19],Spring Hill - 352-596-8679) at 9 pm on Fri, June 1st

Ace's Lounge (4343 Palma Sola Blvd, Bradenton  -  941-795-3886)at 9pm on Sat. June 2nd Admission is $5.00 adv/SBS members, and $7.00 at the door
Five O'Clock Club (1930 Hillview Avenue Sarasota - 941-366-5555)at 5pm on Sun. June 3rd  $5.00 at the door.

SBS 10th Anniversary Party - Sat, Jun 9th...

It's hard to believe but it's been 10 years since we started the SBS and we plan to celebrate in a big way. JOHN MOONEY A BLUSIANA will headline the festivities with his 'Nawlins' style blues and SARASOTA SLIM will kick it off with some southern soul blues. This will be one helluva a party at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) !! We'll have the autographed guitar to raffle off plus lots of other goodies. It all starts at 8:00pm. Tickets are $15.00 in advance/SBS members, and $18.00 at the door. See you there!

COMING ATTRACTIONS

Not A Winnebago..

On Sat, Apr. 21st   STEVE ARVEY Raids The Ringside!  How do you describe a man who has underwent as many career and recording transformations as there are hues in a rainbow? RV glides through styles of playing like an albatross over a moonlit beach...and that's to say, it's effortless. He just spreads his wings, catches a breeze, sails around and hangs a left up, out and...bye bye.So catch him while ya' can! It starts at 9:00 pm, but it never ends..

Special Form Of Musical Wisdom...

On Fri, Apr. 20th, The MOJO GURUS bring their special form of mystical, musical wisdom to The Ringside Café  (2742 4th  Street N. St. Pete. - 727-894-8465).  Showtime is 9:30 PM.

It's Not Blues, But It's Ronny..

On Sat, Apr. 21st at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) WMNF 88.5 Celebrates RONNY ELLIOTT's 60th Birthday! Come celebrate Tampa's music icon's birthday. Ronny delivers riveting, twangy narratives focusing on his personal rock history from Elvis, Chuck Berry to Jerry Lee Time: Showtime - 8:00PM.  Admission is $10.00 in advance and 13.00 at the door. (Sorry, no SBS discount on benefits)

A Tasty Gig.

On Sat, Apr. 21st  LIZ PENNOCK & DR. BLUES will be cookin' up some Blues at La Maison Gourmet (471 Main St. Dunedin   727-736-3070) from at 7:30-11:30PM.  Stop in for a heaping helping!

Look For the Hat.

Accept no substitutes! On Fri, Apr. 27th Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) brings you JIMMY THACKERY And The DRIVERS.  Show time is 8:00 pm, and admission is $12.00 Adv/SBS, and $15.00 walk-up.

Delbert In May...
The Tampa Theatre is bringing DELBERT McCLINTON in concert at on Fri, May 4th at 8:00pm. Tickets are on sale now. To purchase tickets go to: www.ticketmaster.com/venue/106905

Blues In The Library.....

Dr. Scott Simon will be performing a Blues in the Library event at the Chairman's Library in the Tampa Performing Arts Center/Patel Conservatory Noon - 1:00 PM on Saturday May 12th in the TECO room. There will be a brief presentation exploring the blues/jazz connection followed by a live acoustic and electric guitar performance

Blues By The River..

It's time for the 8th annual Cotee River Seafood Festival in New Port Richey.  This year's event features: LAZY BOY And The ROCKERS, The BACK ALLEY BLUES BAND, LIZ PENNOCK And DR. BLUES, ANGEL FOR BLUES, and the headliner BILL "THE SAUCE BOSS" WHARTON!  It happens on Sat, May 12th at Sims Park in downtown N.P.R.

Let's Rock The House.....

On Fri, May 25th The SBS and Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa  - 813-971-0666) are happy to announce the return of WALTER TROUT to the Skipperdome!  LAZY BOY And The ROCKERS will open the show. Tickets are $12.00 in adv/SBS, and $15.00 at the door. (Get your Trout-fan friend to join the SBS! It'll save 'em three bucks, and they'll get a year's worth of Blues nirvana!) Show starts at 8:00pm. Let's rock the house!!

SBS 10th Anniversary Party - Sat, Jun 9th...

It's hard to believe but it's been 10 years since we started the SBS and we plan to celebrate in a big way. JOHN MOONEY A BLUSIANA will headline the festivities with his 'Nawlins' style blues and SARASOTA SLIM will kick it off with some southern soul blues. This will be one helluva a party!! We'll have the autographed guitar to raffle off plus lots of other goodies. It all starts at 8:00pm. Tickets are $15.00 in advance/SBS members, and $18.00 at the door. See you there!

THIS WEEK IN BLUES HISTORY

Modern Chicago Blues slide guitarist Lil` Ed Williams was born on April 8th, 1955 in Chicago. He was taught to play slide by his uncle J.B. Hutto. His band, The Blues Imperials play hard-edged dance Blues in the vein of Elmore James and Hound Dog Taylor. After signing with Alligator in the mid 80s, they gained immediate national and international attention, and have developed a large fan base (called Ed-Heads, no less). They have half a dozen CDs on Alligator.