Suncoast Blues News

E Willett unklegeo@msn.com
Wed Apr 4 21:26:48 EDT 2007

SUNCOAST BLUES SOCIETY...................Your Mojo Support Group

"America's elderly must be doing better.I haven't heard of any seniors dieing from tainted pet food." - An Uncle George observation

Last Friday night I had the pleasure of hearing Roger "Hurricane" Wilson at Dave's.  Roger is a road-warrior in the best sense of the word!  He wasn't feeling well, and was playing for a small crowd, and he played his guts out anyway!  And make no mistake about it, Roger can PLAY a damn guitar.  I favored his slide set, but that's what I enjoy most in any repitoire.  His "reg'lar" guitar playing is fast, intricate and nuanced.  Oh, and I noticed that he has really large hands! His Strat looked positively tiny!.and then it was SaturDaves!  Julie Black and The Angel For Blues brought plenty of energy and quite a few fans out to Dave's!  It was a fun night..good folks, great band.Hell, yer' old Uncle even danced...repetedly!   Yep..I'm turning into a "serial-dancer"..

I'm George Willett (george@suncoastblues.org<about:blank>).....Yippie-Yi-Yo-Ki-Freakin'-Yay!.

NEWS

Earn Your Blues 'Fest Tickets.

Once again Chuck Ross is giving our members a chance to earn a one-day Blues 'Fest ticket.  You do it by distributing flyers, posters and yard signs.  The time to meet is 11:00 am on Sat, Apr. 14th, and the place is The Ringside Café (2742 4th St. N. St. Pete. - 727-894-8465).  Don't pass up this chance to help Chuck AND help yourself!

Starting Jun 1- We Bring The Anniversary Party To The People!
The SBS really wants to celebrate our 10th Anniversary in a big way. We realize that most of our events occur at Skipper's in Tampa and Dave's Aqua Lounge in St. Pete so we decided to bring our party to more folks to spread the joy. We've got Roger "Hurricane" Wilson joining forces with the Damon Fowler Group and we are partying the whole first weekend of June. We'll have our merchandise for sale and we'll have some things to raffle off. So if it's too far to drive to Skipper's on June 9th for our grand celebration, please come and join us closer to your home at these clubs! Here's where we'll be:

The Junction (705 Franklin St. Clearwater - 727-799-1100) at 9:00 pm on Fri. June 1st.  Admission is $5.00 adv/SBS members, and $7.00 at the door
Ace's Lounge (4343 Palma Sola Blvd, Bradenton  -  941-795-3886)at 9pm on Sat. June 2nd Admission is $5.00 adv/SBS members, and $7.00 at the door
Five O'Clock Club (1930 Hillview Avenue Sarasota - 941-366-5555)at 5pm on Sun. June 3rd  $5.00 at the door.

SBS 10th Anniversary Party - Sat, Jun 9th...

It's hard to believe but it's been 10 years since we started the SBS and we plan to celebrate in a big way. JOHN MOONEY A BLUSIANA will headline the festivities with his 'Nawlins' style blues and SARASOTA SLIM will kick it off with some southern soul blues. This will be one helluva a party at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) !! We'll have the autographed guitar to raffle off plus lots of other goodies. It all starts at 8:00pm. Tickets are $15.00 in advance/SBS members, and $18.00 at the door. See you there!

End Of An Era...

As some of you may know, Wendy & the Soulshakers, have hosted the "Sunday Night Blues Jam" at the Ringside Cafe since 1991. Through 3 owners, and many waitresses and bartenders, they have always been there. Touted as the longest running Blues jam in Tampa Bay (especially with the same host)....as of Wed, Mar. 28th they received a two weeks notice. Now It WAS the longest running jam...the end of an ERA.

COMING ATTRACTIONS

>From Buffalo, NY...

We just wanted to let you know THE JONY JAMES BAND (from Buffalo, NY) will be at Gatorz Pub (3816 Tamiami Trail, Port Charlotte  -  941-625-5000) on Wed, Apr. 11th and Thurs. April 12th at 5:00 pm.  (To get a feel for what they sound like, check out track # 7 on the Latest "Blues Review" sampler..)

Captain's Party..

For the Rotary Club Of Clearwater's 15th annual Kingfish Tournament.  It happens Fri, Apr. 13th at Coachman Park from 6:00-10:00 pm, and features RENT MONEY.  They're having Raffles, A Silent Auction, Boat and Corvette displays.  Admission is free, and dinner from great area restaurants is $20.00.

A Hat Full Of Feathers And a Wicked Grin..

He's comin' to Skipper's, and bringin' the Band

            Real good news for DAMON FOWLER fans

He starts at 8:00 on 4/13

   And I really hope he plays that ol' "2:19"

"Damon Fowler Group -Skipper's Smokehouse  (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) Fri, Apr. 13th, Showtime: 8:00PM Cover: $7.00 Adv/SBS-$10.00 walkup"

Kraig Kenning Performs at Fogartyville Café.......

Call him contemporary folk, blues, roots rock, American Fingerstyle or Americana, regardless of genre, Kraig Kenning manages to leave his audience feeling like they've spent some time with an old friend.  Kenning will perform on Fri, April 13th at Fogartyville Café ( 800 17th Ave. W. Bradenton - 941-741-9755).  Tickets are $10.00 in advance, $12.00 at the door. The show starts at 8:00pm, Call The Café for reservations.  The show is a benefit for WSLR-LP 96.5, Sarasota's Community radio station.

So You Couldn't Make It To New Orleans...........

Check out Dave's Aqua Lounge (10820 Gandy Blvd., St. Pete - 727-576-109) on Sat, Apr 14th! So you couldn't make it to New Orleans for Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest this year? Well, we're bringing a touch of Nawlins' to Dave's with the blues singing cabby, MEM SHANNON. Mem has made a name for himself with his great lyrics as well as that Crescent City beat. This is sure to be a Jook to reMEMber! Still only $7.00! Show starts at 9:30pm.

Benefit #2 For Johnny Widebar's Kids.....
If you missed the benefit for Johnny Widebars and Laurie's kids at Gulfport on the Rocks you have another chance! There will be another benefit at Fast Eddies (5017 66th Street in Pinellas Park) on Sat. Apr.14th from Noon until whenever. There will be food, door prizes, 50/50, vendors, etc. For more info or to make donations, call Ann & Bob at 727-327-5063. The benefit is sponsored by our friends at Full Throttle magazine.

Hot Blues And Hot Cars..

Sat, Apr. 14th brings The 3rd Annual Oldsmar Blues Fest And Car Show.  It happens from 3:00-9:00 pm at R.E. Olds Park (Shore Dr, Oldsmar - 813-749-1260). The stars of the show are The JIMMY GRISWOLD Band and CHARLIE VEGAS And The NEW BLUES COMBO.

Not A Winnebago..

On Sat, Apr. 21st   STEVE ARVEY Raids The Ringside!  How do you describe a man who has underwent as many career and recording transformations as there are hues in a rainbow? RV glides through styles of playing like an albatross over a moonlit beach...and that's to say, it's effortless. He just spreads his wings, catches a breeze, sails around and hangs a left up, out and...bye bye.So catch him while ya' can! It starts at 9:00 pm, but it never ends..

It's Not Blues, But It's Ronny..

On Sat, Apr. 21st at Skipper's Smokehouse (910 Skipper Rd, [cor. Nebraska] Tampa - 813-971-0666) WMNF 88.5 Celebrates RONNY ELLIOTT's 60th Birthday! Come celebrate Tampa's music icon's birthday. Ronny delivers riveting, twangy narratives focusing on his personal rock history from Elvis, Chuck Berry to Jerry Lee Time: Showtime - 8:00PM.  Admission is $10.00 in advance and 13.00 at the door. (Sorry, no SBS discount on benefits)

17 Years Honing His Craft.....
On Sat, Apr. 28th it's KENNY WAYNE SHEPHERD at the Tampa Theatre. Renowned as a guitar prodigy at age 13, Shepherd has spent the last 17 years honing his craft as a blues and rock musician. This twice-Grammy nominated artist has earned a fanatical following due to his reputation as an incendiary live performer. Catch this electric and soulful young performer in his prime, live in concert at Tampa Theatre.  Doors and Bar open at 7:00pm, show time is at 8:00pm

$37.50 and $46.00 Reserved Seating, on sale Friday, March 16 at noon.

THIS WEEK IN BLUES HISTORY

Chicago Blues pianist and songwriter Big Maceo ( Major Merriweather) was born on March 31st 1905 in Newman, GA.  He was a seasoned pianist by the time he moved to Detroit in 1924. He later moved to Chicago to take advantage of the recording opportunities there. He recorded 14 sides on his first day at Bluebird Records, 6 of his own, and 8 with guitarist Tampa Red. One of those initial sides, "Worried Life Blues", (A.K.A. Someday Baby) became a Blues standard and was covered by countless artists. Merriweather became Tampa Reds favorite pianist and he worked with Red Big Bill Broonzy extensively.  A stroke in 1948 all but ended his career. Big Maceo paved the way for many of Chicago`s great Blues pianists, and piano fans should check out "The Best Of Big Maceo: The King Of Chicago Blues Piano" on Arhoolie Records.